Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting Crisp Skin on Smoked Duck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting Crisp Skin on Smoked Duck

Here is a picture of a duck I smoked on a vertical cabinet water smoker. The skin was not crisp.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Smoked Duck.JPG
Views:	931
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	423093 I smoke chicken on this same water smoker and the skin is crisp. Would smoking it without a water pan make the skin crisp? If not, what will?

A step-by-step guide to making the ultimate Peking Duck—complete with crispy, flavorful skin and tender breast meat—at home. Get the entire recipe with…

Comment

I'm new to this all but have done a lot of smoker testing with chicken and found I get a crisper skin if I partially fill my water tray and it dissipates after about 20 min and the dry air seems to crisp the skin.
      BTW that duck looks so good. We don't get duck here. I have never had the pleasure of eating any.
      Last edited by holehogg; December 13, 2017, 10:28 AM.

Comment

There is also a new recipe on the main site for Peking duck that gets a crispy skin. You will get some tips there. I think one is sure might be the fat under a duck's skin. Chickens don't have the same layer of fat.

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          That one looks really good.

Humidity is bad when trying to get a crispy skin on chicken, turkey and duck.

Comment

It would be hard to get crisp skin on a duck in any type of low an slow environment because of the thick layer of fat. Possible solution is to score the skin, smoke the duck until a few degrees lower than your target temp. Then blast it in your oven at 500 degrees for a few minutes. Crisping the skin but not overcooking your duck.

I personally separate the duck, render as much fat as possible, cook the legs and thighs confit, and the breasts medium rare.

Comment

Duck is trickier than chicken, as mentioned by the others. Even though it's a bird it's not like most poultry. For the best results, follow the Peking Duck recipe's techniques https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ed-peking-duck

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here