Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Butterball Bone-In Turkey Breast - 18%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Butterball Bone-In Turkey Breast - 18%

I ended up with two frozen BB bone-in Turkey breast. Noticed that the label says they have been enhanced up to 18% with a salt/water/flavor solution. With the breast already pumped up 18%, don't see the need to brine. Never dealt with anything this enhanced, am I messing up by just using a rub (must be getting lazy)? Seems like dry brining would create a salt lick.

Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor. And just a rub seems right in this situation.

Comment

Having high blood pressure I have come to really watch that number on foods. From my experience just the rub would be the way to go but also look at the sodium number on the rub you use. The Simon & Garfunkel rub is without added salt and works extremely well. There are a few poultry companies who produce a low sodium chicken but with a turkey you'd have to go with a fresh one then brine. Just for giggles and grins I looked at the turkey breast i'm thawing and it is showing two sodium numbers. One is 9% (served plain) and the other is 18% (with gravy). Of course your mileage may vary.

Comment

I would look at the nutrition label for the sodium content per serving. If it's ~200 mg or less I do a regular dry brine. If it's ~200-300 mg I cut the dry brine, maybe in half. If it's much over 300 I don't brine.

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Like the approach!

• aucivil
          aucivil commented
          Editing a comment
          Listed as 320 mg

• fuzzydaddy
          fuzzydaddy commented
          Editing a comment
          aucivil at 320 mg you'll probably be just fine not salting. I would rather need to add a small amount at the table than for it to be too salty for me and my guests. Adding salt is easy; taking it away not so much.

that is a super high % of injected brine...I know honeysuckle (my preferred brand when not going with a heritage breed) is only 3%.

Comment

I'd skip the brine on something that pumped up. If by some miracle it's missing the saltiness later just add it on the plate.

Comment

For the record - did not brine, injected with melted butter and broth, applied a rub. Was plenty moist but could have used a bit of flavor in the injection.

Comment

My wife bought a turkey which said up to 10% brine. I went ahead and brined it over night nut then let it sit in clean water for an hour or so before injecting with butter and broth. Was worried it would be over salty but it turned out awesome. Actually didn't taste any saltiness at all. I wonder if soaking it in clean water helped it some.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here