Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Inject it or dry brine it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inject it or dry brine it?

First of all, T-Day questions are so hot at the Pit right now.

real question for the turkey pros - given the choice, dry brine the bird or inject it? If injecting, is it butterballed or bribe injected?

Also, if you are an Amazon prime member, Whole Foods is giving coupons for $1.99/lb birds > unbranded, fresh, loved on by the farmervetc etc. thought folks would love that price

Got some kind of link?

Comment

Comment

I inject with Tony Chachere's butter blend, then sprinkle Tony Chachere's on any available surface right before smoking.

Comment

Both. Dry brine with salt for two days in the reefer uncovered to dry out the skin. Inject with wonderful butter. Rub and smoke.

Comment

• jgreen
            jgreen commented
            Editing a comment
            Yum! Man that sounds good

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            All three. Dry brine, inject, and butterball!

Lonnie- Sorry to ask, but what is Wonderful Butter?

Comment

• lonnie mac
            lonnie mac commented
            Editing a comment
            Any butter is wonderful butter brother! Lately I have been using some European butter I find in my local HEB, but a good quality butter is what I alway try and have on hand. Melt your butter, but don't inject it hot, let it cool just to the point to where you can still inject it. Then a good herb rub. Smoke. Doing one this Saturday. Peach wood.

10-4. Thank you sir.

Comment

I like to butterball mine. It really makes a difference, in my opinion.

Last weekend, I made some turkeys that were spatchcocked, dry brined, left to sit out uncovered in the fridge overnight and then butter balled. From the parts that I tried, it was very very good. I was impressed with the flavor.

Comment

Pardon my ignorance but what is "butterballing". I plan on injecting mine with butter and Slap Ya MaMas and then dusting heavily with Slap Ya before deep frying it.

Comment

• HouseHomey
                HouseHomey commented
                Editing a comment
                I love slap yomama! Delicious. The right amount of red pepper.

• HouseHomey
                HouseHomey commented
                Editing a comment
                That's sound delicious.

Just a term Meathead coined to inject butter.

Comment

Seems like inject with butter wins this discussion hands down! Picking my bird up tonight from Whole Foods, $1.99/lb with Amazon Prime, will butterball it, S&G, spatchcock, uncovered in the fridge til Thursday morning... onto the PBC and fingers crossed. I’ll try to upload some pics (I suck with technology)

thanks everyone, the help here is unbelievable
                T

Comment

I do both as well. Dry brine for a couple days then injection with butter and a homemade spice combination.

Comment

I'm going to dry brine the day before, then inject a 50/50 mixture of warmed butter and warmed corn oil the morning of. Starting to drool...:-)

Comment

I am going to spatchcock and dry brine my turkey today and then cover with saran wrap overnight and tomorrow it will chill unwrapped. Then on Thanksgiving I'll rub and herbed butter all over the turkey... no injecting

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here