Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Injecting the turkey… with bacon fat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Injecting the turkey… with bacon fat?

Getting ready for another delicious thanksgiving and going over my notes from last year, and the 50/50 butter/oil injection got me thinking… what if I used bacon fat instead of butter? Or maybe 50/25/25 of oil/butter/fat? Anyone done this? And reason this would be a bad idea?

That won't be Kosher...

Comment

Haha… but it could be delicious!!!

Comment

Let us know how it turns out.

Comment

uh.......this could be amazing. But make sure you have 50% corn oil. Because that fat will gel once it hits the cold meat.

Comment

PhotoJoseph , In a Nut Shell I don't Know Either but I'm Not Observant❓ Let Us Know❗️
            🦃 🦃 Happy 🦃 Thanksgiving 🦃🦃 ‼️
            Eat Well and Prosper❗️ From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Our 20 LB bird was prepared today, injected with Costco's finest french import, an XO cognac @ $47 / liter and spiced accordingly. Plans of my wood-fired Primo XL, indirect @ 325 degrees. I am still undecided on butterflied or whole.

Comment

• PhotoJoseph
                PhotoJoseph commented
                Editing a comment
                Wow. My vote is to butterfly. But I've done both and have always had success.

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Split that sucker!

• JPACCFL
                JPACCFL commented
                Editing a comment
                Okay the votes are in ... it's getting cut!

I'm jus' a young whippersnapper, mebbe, but I have yet to encounter a situation where bacon, or bacon grease ruined a dish!

Comment

• texastweeter
                texastweeter commented
                Editing a comment
                What bones said

Not to go against the grain but I say don’t do it. A big bite of bacon fat is... well... well its just a lot of something that don’t go in a turkey maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Solberg View Post
                Not to go against the grain but I say don’t do it. A big bite of bacon fat is... well... well its just a lot of something that don’t go in a turkey maybe.
                I think ensuring it's well distributed is key, but even if it's not, at 325 it WILL melt and distribute. Don't think a big bite of bacon fat is a possibility.

Comment

• bten
                  bten commented
                  Editing a comment
                  remember that you are injecting it into the bird, so the temperature of the breast will be about 160. I don't know if the fat will melt at that temp.

Still got a few days before I have to commit… but I'm thinking this can only be a good thing. Hoping that the big man himself will chime in here!

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoJoseph View Post

I think ensuring it's well distributed is key, but even if it's not, at 325 it WILL melt and distribute. Don't think a big bite of bacon fat is a possibility.
                  Let me rephrase it. It’s bacon fat. It doesn’t belong in Turkey. I’ll say it. Once again going against the grain, bacon does not make everything better. Just sayin. : )

Comment

• Jon Solberg
                    Jon Solberg commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That said I’m sure it won’t hurt it any.

• DogFaced PonySoldier
                    DogFaced PonySoldier commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I don't see why not. It's not as if the flavors don't complement each other - bacon on a turkey sammich? Unless it's just the idea of the fat itself and not the flavor... I think it will redistribute, and I think it will be delicious! Just my opinion.

Originally posted by Jon Solberg View Post

bacon does not make everything better. Just sayin. : )
                  You know wars have been started over less, right? :-)

Comment

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    hahaha

Yeah it probably doesn't belong in a bird. Valid claim. But I don't really care for poultry so a little swine in there wouldn't bother me in the least.

Comment

Yum.

Click image for larger version

Name:	10575354_10203560048058586_295553556328485701_o.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	412880

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                      Mr. Bones commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yum is right, Brotha! Dang!!!!

• Spinaker
                      Spinaker commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Hahahahaha, now thats what I am talking about. That is one dirty bird.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here