Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meathead's turkey recipe & injecting - How much oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meathead's turkey recipe & injecting - How much oil?

I'll be doing Meathead's Turkey spatchcocked, 13.5# bird. Per his suggestion I'll inject the breasts corn with oil, maybe I missed it, but how much oil? Would 2.5 hrs cook time be a safe guess for 13.5#?

Use a simple 50/50 mix and you should be good to go.

As for cook time. You might be closer to 2 hours but always leave yourself enough time. Weird things happen on that special day.

Here is what Meathead says on Butterballing:

"Using butter works best when you have a large diameter needle and mix the butter with an equal amount of hot vegetable oil. Better still, use pure neutral tasting vegetable oil, I use corn oil."

Comment

If you have a Trader Joe's you can pick up one of their boxes of Turkey Stock and inject to your hearts content. Duck Fat Spray (not a TJ's product) on the outside skin helps with a nice finish as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Spinaker View Post

As for cook time. You might be closer to 2 hours but always leave yourself enough time. Weird things happen on that special day.

"Using butter works best when you have a large diameter needle and mix the butter with an equal amount of hot vegetable oil. Better still, use pure neutral tasting vegetable oil, I use corn oil."

Thanks, I guess I misread Meathead's instructions. I thought he meant to use 100% vegetable oil, to be clear Meathead means to use a 50/50 mixture? Further how much should (quantity, am I over thinking it?) I expect to inject?
        Last edited by Missin44; November 19, 2017, 10:09 AM.

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          It is easy to do, there is a ton of content there. You can Just inject that baby. Don't over think it. I find that most of it leaks back out. Just inject in a grid pattern and you will be fine.

Originally posted by Spinaker View Post

I will say, I think originally he did not have the oil part in there. At least when I first did it I seem to recall I was following his steps exactly, and used all butter. It was wonderful but, yes, you have keep the butter warm. I think I may make some clarified butter and use that. Not too hard.

Comment

Originally posted by BluesDaddy View Post

I will say, I think originally he did not have the oil part in there. At least when I first did it I seem to recall I was following his steps exactly, and used all butter. It was wonderful but, yes, you have keep the butter warm. I think I may make some clarified butter and use that. Not too hard.
          Never thought of clarified butter, excellent tip. I'll make a batch this morning!

Comment

I did a 13#r last weekend as a trial run. It turned out fantastic, but took me about 3 hours 15 minutes for a spatchcocked bird. Of course it was about 30°F around me

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here