Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meathead's Turkey recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meathead's Turkey recipe

With the holiday season upon us, I think it's time to give a shout to Meat's ultimate turkey!

This is one of what I consider the "tour de force" recipe pages on AR, one where Meathead has obviously given a lot of thought and a lot of effort into explaining not just how to do something, but why you do something. Sure, every recipe is like that, but there are some where you can just tell that he really got his teeth into something he enjoyed making, and then enjoyed writing about.

Now, when you start reading a recipe that, if printed out, might go to a dozen pages or more, you might think, "Nah. That all looks way too complicated. I'm not going through all that. I'll just do what I always do." However, that's not the case with this recipe. Nowhere are there instructions for anything complicated, nor any special equipment or technique. Nowhere are there requirements for special secret ingredients. You aren't going to have to order 6 ounces of rare spices that you won't use up in your lifetime.

The entire recipe comes down to: put some vegetables and liquid and other stuff in a pan, roast the turkey over top of them, and pay attention to the temperature."

Sure, there's more. It takes half an hour or more to read the whole thing. But get real. Look at what you have: a turkey and a heat source. Pay attention to the temperature, and nothing can go wrong.

Last year I did this in the oven, and it was without question the best damn turkey I ever ate. And I never really liked turkey, I always thought it was dry and uninteresting. Believe me, this is tender, juicy, and full of flavor. Do it.

Oh yeah! I am doing the prep work tonight for two birds. The smoke will be on Sunday. This is a great recipe, I did this last year after our roaster broke and it was on me to make. Luckily I had AR to save my backside.

I will post my results when I am finished. Great topic!

Comment

• Willy
      Willy commented
      Editing a comment
      "Throw up your results"!!!!!!!??????????????

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah that doesn't work well, now that I read it again. LOL Willy

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Willy don't know about you but "throw up" might not fit in here. LoL!

i've got an 18lb'er thawing in the fridge already ( ill gotten meat bingo booty) and 6 people coming over thanksgiving day for football food and fun. I followed Meatheads recommendations last year and as such, I've got more mouths to feed this year. But like MH says... it's not about whats on teh plate, it's about who's sitting at the table.

Comment

Following the process set forth by St. Meathead of Chicago I decided on a practice run. I made up the S&G rub. Spatchcocked the buzzard. Weber 22 inch kettle grill with a Slow N Sear and griddle pan. KBB charcoal. Minimal cherry wood. Even kept my beloved Shun knives in the drawer and used a Rapala knife to carve. If I was ever to get a tattoo it would be this recipe for turkey. Bullet proof!

Comment

It's only long because he's passing along insights. Excellent!

Comment

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          After reading at work, I felt like I had a PhD in Turkey cookery.

Agreed. I've done this two years in a row now and somehow Thanksgiving stopped rotating houses and it's our turn again for the third year. The only thing I would add to the recipe is a warning, it may be a little too good. Its all true. Right down to the part about gravy traditions, mom takes some of the gravy from the recipe and creates a traditional gravy as well...

Comment

I’ve been anticipating this one for a couple months now. I’ve probably read through it 5 times to make sure I have it all down. It’ll be my first run at it, so hopefully it turns out good.

Comment

I used his recipe as a starting point that eventually supplanted the crowd favorite fried turkey I'd been doing before. Nobody asks for fried anymore.

I had to do some serious adapting for the gravy over the course of several years because of the smoker I use (Primo XL ceramic) and its lack of height above the fire.. I end up cutting down the liquids a LOT to make it reduce properly and gain flavor.

That said, the turkey itself is dead simple. My first time on it I typed up a condensed version of all the key steps as Meathead, for as great as he is about providing information, gets a bit wordy at times when you're trying to just make the thing. (definitely read everything first, typing up a short version makes sure you understand it)

Best of luck to everyone with their Thanksgiving cooks this week

Comment

I went yesterday and purchased more muffin pans for the stuffing. I will be doing a turkey and ham smoked of course mh’s way.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here