Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turkey Pastrami

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkey Pastrami

Since I'll be filling my freezer this month with as many turkeys as I can get on sale I was wondering about Turkey Pastrami. Any info here about how to make and any pointers on how to cook. I own a PBC and 22" Webber kettle with a SnS.

Thanks

Not sure if this got lost in the shuffle or if there are not too many people here that make Turkey Pastrami. Just looking for a good link or old post if anybody knows of one.

Thanks

Comment

I have made turkey pastrami a few times. Used boneless/skinless turkey breast and cured with a typical pastrami/corned beef brine. Because of the size, it doesn't need to cure nearly as long as a brisket does. Generally I think I cured it 2-3 days. Then rub with black pepper and coriander. I smoked at around 275ish on a WSM until it reaches 155/160. I used a WSM. I also like to steam it after it finishes cooking as it helps the texture.

edit:
      here are the two pictures I could find on my phone.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0838.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.44 MB ID:	407525Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4034.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.61 MB ID:	407526
      Attached Files
      Last edited by shify; November 7, 2017, 01:54 PM.

Comment

I bet this would be really good. You should absolutely give this a try. Make sure to let us know what you think.

Comment

^ I concur

Comment

Never done it. But I’ve considered many different meats for Pastrami. I think turkey would work well — especially the breast pieces.

Comment

That sure looks interesting. Never thought of trying that.

Comment

The only times I have seen turkey pastrami, it was store-bought. It think it was made from the thigh meat, but I am not certain. My only concern with turkey breast would be drying it out. I sure hope you try it, and let us know the results!

Comment

Just found this:
                  Making your own Smoked Turkey Pastrami at home isn't quite as complicated as you may think, and is so rewarding! Check out how it's done...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here