Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chicken Thighs on the Kettle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chicken Thighs on the Kettle

Any advice on grilling boneless chicken thighs on the kettle? I was hoping to use the SnS. Thanks!

Kettle with SnS is great for chicken pieces. Get kettle to 225 to 325 and cook indirect until the IT is 150 then move over the hot coals and crisp up the skin. I also add some hardwood to the coals. My two favorites:

Cornell Chicken is awesome with thighs, bone in or boneless. With just parts, you can get by marinating for 2 to 3 hours.

Another way is to dry brine overnight with salt and right before cooking, remove from fridge, lightly coat in oil, and sprinkle on some freshly ground pepper. Cook like above, remove from kettle, and dip, drown, slather, cover, drench, smother, and put some more in a small bowl for additional dipping with Alabama White Sauce.

Comment

Jmccloskey659, jlhilden speaks the truth.

Comment

I just did some. Dry brine, then apply rub. Fire the kettle with SnS up to 325-350. Put thighs on indirect to 160 then quick sear on direct. Tender, juicy, delicious.

Click image for larger version

Name:	D31F34E8-2C75-4A55-AC2F-F75E19641825.jpeg
Views:	145
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	396197Click image for larger version

Name:	172A64B7-9C82-4880-847C-EFBE90D1DBF5.jpeg
Views:	148
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	396198

Comment

What they said 👆👆

Comment

Thanks all. Is it okay to sear them at the end if they're skinless?

Comment

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              Unless you wanted to sear their skinlessisity. It’s called browning. Probably should have been done prior.

Perhaps this video isn't applicable to your request as it sounds like you wish to go both boneless and skinless but you may pick up a point or two?

Comment

To be honest, the only time I cook skinless & boneless thighs on the grill is when making a teriyaki and I cut them up and use skewers. I will cook them indirect to get up to temp and then cautiously and quickly put over the flame to caramelize the sauce. I don't know if a skinless and boneless thigh would stay together on a grill as it seems those two things are what holds it together once the fat renders.

Skinless chicken like breasts can benefit from searing but very unforgiving compared to red meat and chicken with the skin on; watch those temps as you can go from tender to shoe leather in a New York minute.
              Last edited by jlhilden; October 16, 2017, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Got it all...thanks (can always count on the "Pit")!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here