Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Christmas Duck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh and the sauce, you'll need a sauce. I do this "Real faux" duck a L'Orange..
    All ingredients are estimates
    • salt (no black pepper, I use chipotle pepper instead, listed below)
    • 1 tsp flour (use in the skillet that the duck was cooked in to make semi roux)
    • 2 tsp grated orange zest
    • 2 tbsp Grand Marnier (orange liquor)
    • 1 tbsp red wine or sherry vinegar
    • pinch of chipotle powder (adds that smokey flavor, ask Meathead, he will testify)
    • 1 tbsp orange marmalade
    • 1 cup chicken broth
    • 1 tbsp butter
    Mix all ingredients except flour and butter and reduce over medium heat. If you cooked the duck indoors then use the same pan to make the sauce. When it is reduced to your liking swirl in the butter. Taste for seasoning.

Comment

• Strat50
      Strat50 commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks like a great recipe. Chipotle and orange go very well together. There is no "faux" about your recipe as L'Orange is more a method than a specific recipe, in my experience. Most chefs that claim their L'Orange is a "true" L'Orange are just self promoting by using snobbery. Thank you so much for giving us all this recipe sir. Folks like you are why I love this site.

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Great! I was thinking that I might smoke one and do the other in the house and provide two different takes on duck. In that case, smoked duck and Duck a L'Orange makes sense to me .... thanks for all the input!

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks again Ernest.

All this duck talk makes me want to cook up a duck!! LOL

Comment

Everyone has contributed greatly to this thread. Sorry ecowper for hijacking your topic if I did so I apologize. I am learning a lot here since I'm a duck virgin too.

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        No hijacking at all .... just more learning for me. Love the info and input. I will definitely take pictures and provide commentary on how it goes on Christmas.

Ya... wish I could get hold of some duck... we lived in a major flyway when I was a kid and we always had lots of wild duck and goose... wish I had some of that now with my PBC.

I been thinking of going down to the city park and doing some harvesting LOL - If I do, you will read about it in the Idaho Statesman -- "Pitmaster Member arrested for poaching geese in Ann Morrison Park, claims El Nino made him do it"
      Last edited by smarkley; December 11, 2014, 12:47 AM.

Comment

• Ernest
        Ernest commented
        Editing a comment
        HAHAHAHAHAHA El Nino!!

Great posts all. Temperatures, cook times, et.c. I agree fully. Duck has such great flavor! Especially for you steak lovers. Ernest is right, orange is a great flavor for ducks, I make a sweet orange glaze that I usually serve:
      Hi all, yesterday I cooked duck breasts on my grill. I love the game-like flavor of the duck, but I have never done it on my grill, so now was the time! This one

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here