Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BBQ Moby Dick - SLAIN! :-D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBQ Moby Dick - SLAIN! :-D

Had a success story this evening and I'm so excited I had to share it with folks who might understand why I'm doing backflips! Disclaimer - I didn't ACTUALLY grill a whale folks. LOL Here's what's up...

Chicken. On the grill. Love it, but have had very nearly ZERO success cooking it over the years. If I get one try in ten to come out edible im lucky. Usually it looks great, but ends up so rubbery you can bounce it like a racquetball... I've made the occasional charcoal briquette cleverly disguised as a chicken breast... grilled chicken has been my arch nemesis for literally decades! :-( I'd given up, and hadn't even attempted it in years.

Well, I recently stumbled across the technique of pounding chicken breasts flat, made the investment on a meat mallet, and have had decent success baking them in the oven. Today when I got off work it was absolutely gorgeous outside, so I thought what the heck - I haven't suffered any good humiliations lately! Let's throw it on the grill and give it a whirl.

Folks, this was easily the best my chicken has ever come out! Tender, juicy, couldn't dribble it like a basketball, BBQ sauce glazed perfectly! This has GOT to be what Rocky felt like when he got to the top of the stairs in Philly! LOL I've got to give the credit to the trusty ThermoPop and especially the meat mallet... who would've guessed that taking out my frustrations on my arch nemesis BEFORE cooking instead of AFTER would yield such great results!

Have a great weekend and happy grilling,

G

Congratulations!

Comment

I was playing the front 9 by myself once when I aced a par 3. Never happened before or since. I let out a huge whoop at my little miracle, then heard a voice from an adjacent tee say "hey, did you hole out?" I answered "hell yeah!", then heard same voice say "nobody else saw it so it didn't happen" The point is, no pics=didn't happen. Still, happy that you got your whale, Ahab!

Comment

• TheCountofQ
        TheCountofQ commented
        Editing a comment
        LOL!! Agreed.

• gdsim1
        gdsim1 commented
        Editing a comment
        HA! I agree, and next time I'll be ready with the camera. Expected this to be one more fail in a long and storied history of them, but next time? Pics to go with the victory lap! :-)

I'm delighted that ya' conquered yer quarry, Captain Ahab.
      Smoke on, Chicken Man!

Comment

Replicate it and share some pics! I have felt the same way about pizza crust.

Comment

Chicken breasts are a challenge, aren't they? Pounding flat had really helped, but getting just right... worth a back flip or two.

Comment

Congrats! Happy for you victory.

Comment

Congrats on your success. Tell us how you have cooked chicken in the past and we may be able to help with other methods of cookin' it. The skin takes chicken to another level if you can get it really crisp.

Comment

• gdsim1
                gdsim1 commented
                Editing a comment
                The skin... THATS been a whole other humbling subject! I typically do boneless and skinless breasts on the grill, but whole chickens (spatchcocked) in the PBC. PBC chicken comes out UNGODLY good, but the skin continues to elude me. Tried following the instructions on PBC's website (pulling the rods or cracking the lid to ramp the temp up at the end of the cook, but no wins yet.

• RonB
                RonB commented
                Editing a comment
                See if you can get the temps up close to 400*. That should give you crisp skin, but watch the chicken closely - it will overcook quickly. And pull it around 160* because it will continue to cook once removed from a very hot pit.

Congrats! Is turkey next?

Comment

• gdsim1
                gdsim1 commented
                Editing a comment
                Took the plunge a few months back and bought the turkey adapter for the PBC, and I've been waiting most (im)patiently for the stores to start stocking turkeys for the holiday season. If I get the same great results with turkey that I've gotten with chicken, we're going to have some super holiday feasts.

• HawkerXP
                HawkerXP commented
                Editing a comment
                gdsim1 Turkey is also sooo good on the PBC. Just a note of caution. Larger bird means more drippings. More drippings means more flame if you leave the lid off to long. My last turkey showed done by internal probe. I pulled and probed around. Found some deep spots that were not just ready. I had left the lid off and flames were shooting out the top. Always put the top back on after removing meat.

• gdsim1
                gdsim1 commented
                Editing a comment
                HawkerXP HA! Yes, I learned the importance of temp control early on w/ the PBC. Was using the grate, forgot to reinsert the rods when I cracked the lid to crisp at the end and literally INCINERATED a pork belly.

Pizza was good that night! LMAOOO!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here