Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Chicken on the Kettle and SnS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Chicken on the Kettle and SnS

I'm not a chicken lover but I don't mind thighswas and legs. The family wanted chicken for their Sunday dinner so we had some chicken qtrs.
    This was my first time cooking chicken with the SnS. Wanted to go with a temp above 350 but one chimney of coals wasn't enough, just couldn't get the temp to stay above 320. The chicken still had great skin and was moist on the inside. Next time I'll just fill the SnS and start the coals in it.
    overall a pretty darn good cook, a nice bunch of cowboy beans also got smoked in the vertical smoker. Oh I cut some of the qtrs apart for the kids and then used the S&G rub.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0645.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	374443

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0648.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	374444

Pretty looking chicken. I found that adding about a chimney of lit coal to my SNS helped to make some awesome chicken. I always added a few chunks of wood, right before the start of the cook. It usually settled in at about 400 F to 430 F. Then you can remove the chicken, stoke the fire and use the cold grate method to sear the skin, if need be.

Comment

Love that S&G!

Comment

Originally posted by Spinaker View Post
        Pretty looking chicken. I found that adding about a chimney of lit coal to my SNS helped to make some awesome chicken. I always added a few chunks of wood, right before the start of the cook. It usually settled in at about 400 F to 430 F. Then you can remove the chicken, stoke the fire and use the cold grate method to sear the skin, if need be.
        This is the Weber 26" with the SnS XL so I'm wondering if a single chimney of coals is enough. I had the bottom vent open 100% and I played with the top vent a couple times but left it full open too. Coals burnt out when the last of the chicken was at 165. Had to add a chunk of wood and more coals to get it kicked back off. But was never able to get my temp above 325 at any time???

Comment

Dadof3Illinois It may not be. I had a 18" Kettle when I had my set up. But I would think you should be able to kick those temps up to 400 with out an issue with one chimney. Did you try cracking the lid while it was cooking? Also, maybe have some addition unlit coals in the Kettle to catch as the fire burns. I would make sure to use a one of the large chimneys and make sure it is heaping full.

Comment

• Dadof3Illinois
            Dadof3Illinois commented
            Editing a comment
            I used a full large chimney. I thought about having some unlit coals in the SnS but figured there should have been plenty in the chimney. I cracked the lid, temps dropped and never recovered. That's when I noticed the coals were already spent.
            I'm still learning the SnS, next time I'll just start a whole SnS full of coals, or at least more than I did this time.
            Experimenting is what makes it fun!

They look mighty tasty. If you find your temps running low, you can add a few hardwood chunks to raise the temp. A few mini splits would be even better.

Comment

• Dadof3Illinois
            Dadof3Illinois commented
            Editing a comment
            That's how I got my temp back. Added a hunk of cherry and some more charcoal.

AaIn for knowledge. I have a new 26 and SnS XL and want to try a whole chicken soon.

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here