Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoking wings to go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoking wings to go?

I'm a new, this year, smoker and follower. I've had good success with a number of recipes from the book. I want to try, unless advised against to take some wings (not-quarters), to a party Sunday. We've had good success with a great Chipotle dry rub recipe (wings) and (with breasts) the Meathead Georgia Brown recipe. We like the Chipotle for wings b/c it's more like bar wings, where Georgia Brown is great for dinner. I'm seeking advice: I plan to cook, just before leaving, taking to party and then flashing on grill. I'm concerned about keeping them moist, and also what to put on them, in transit and before flashing on grill at party. I don't want to wash on the rub, but mostly I want them to be a hit!

I don't cook much chicken, so I don't have the answer. But I'm sure there are others who do. Enjoy the cook!

Comment

I have never tried that. I'm not sure you will have much luck with any type of crispy skin as moisture is an enemy while traveling. That doesn't mean they can't be delicious. If you make a delicious wing and reheat after a short ride they should still be delicious-ish as most stuff is not as perfect as the original. I don't see why they can't be delicious though.

I have not done this like I said but some one likely will know better then me.

Good luck, post pics or it didn't happen.
      Erik

Comment

I wish I could help...

Comment

Best wings I've done ahead of time is with sous vide. After sous vide let them dry out in the fridge. They are cooked so they just need a sear over a hot grill or dropped into some hot oil and they are ready to roll.

Comment

If you can SV the wings before, as Jerod mentions above, that would be a great option. If not, here is what I would do.

Since you are already using the grill that will be at the party, I would cook them the whole way, at the party. If this is possible, follow Meathead's instructions for wings. I have had nothing but great results when following this recipe. It only takes about 1/2 hour. You can add wood to any type of grill for flavor. If you have a gasser you will be using, simply put the wood under the grate and above the burners, like you see here.

The night before, rinse each individual wing and place them on a drying rack. Once the wings are all arranged on the drying rack, give them a coating of kosher salt. (If your rub has salt in it, just apply the rub.) This will give the wings a nice dry brine, which will help to tenderize and retain moisture. I then let the racked wings sit in the fridge, uncovered, on a baking sheet. This allows for air flow around the wings overnight. This will help create some great crispy skin.

If you have to smoke them at home and transport them, I would smoke at about 225 F, and just long enough to give them some flavor. You will probably only need about 15-20 mins. Then I would throw them into a HEATED crock pot for transport. Keep the crock as hot as possible prior to transport. You want to avoid hauling around undercooked chicken so it is important that the crock pot is hot. Then you can take the wings out and finish at the party. But I would highly recommend cook them all the way at the party, if possible. I would not worry about drying them out. After they are done on the grill you can, lightly, dust the wings with another shot of rub to re up your flavor profile.

Comment

Great tips, thanks, but Sous Vide?

Comment

If you don't have access to sous vide (like me) I would try to bring them back up to temp on indirect heat then flip over the heat just to try and re crisp the skin. I take it you don't have time to cook completely at the party? If not, try and keep them undercooked on your cooker at home.

Comment

But what is sous vide? I'm thinking I'll take the advice to cook them there, I just wanted to keep that on ky end primarily, not to go commandeer the grill for the whole cook. And I was thinking of smoking them and there's no smoker there.

Comment

• EdF
                    EdF commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Sous-Vide-Que combines the best of three great cooking methods: grilling, smoking, and sous vide. From grilling you get the rich flavors of browning. From smoking, you get the alluring aromas of wood smoke. And from sous vide, you get evenly cooked meat that is incredibly tender and juicy.

• TheCountofQ
                    TheCountofQ commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Sous vide is a technique where food is placed in a plastic bag and immersed in a temperature controlled water bath. There is a lot of info around the pit, as it is considered a low and slow method, similar to BBQ. It is often seared after being removed from the water bath, to achieve the bark that cooking submersed in water can not achieve.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here