Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Muffin Tin Chicken????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Muffin Tin Chicken????

I understand this subject has some controversy when it comes to competition cooking but it sounds pretty tasty.

I found the Mixon recipe online. Is that the standard method to do this?

Not looking for anyone to give away any secrets. I just think this might be something fun to make.

Can anyone offer some methods or recipies?

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...Chicken-365437

Definitely looks tasty. I don't like dark meat on chicken unless it is grilled to perfection over direct heat.

Comment

• Jon Solberg
      Jon Solberg commented
      Editing a comment
      So I'll take that as a maybe. hehehehe

I'm with Jerod. I like my chicken grilled and crispy. The cupcake stuff just doesn't do it for me.

Comment

It least we have established that you guys can't help... Which is nice.

Comment

Yeah sorry Jon, I won't be much help on this one. I did peruse the recipe though and it looks like it'd be good (for what it is).

Comment

• Jon Solberg
          Jon Solberg commented
          Editing a comment
          lol lol lol..

I'd contact Myron Mixon. I'm sure he is readily available.

Comment

• Beefchop
          Beefchop commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm sure he'll talk to you...for a fee. : )

I cook (smoke) them all the time and they always turn out very moist and are great on sandwiches for leftovers. I have used muffin tins with a holes in the bottom and without. Both ways seem to work just fine. I de-bone the thighs and remove the skin because my wife hates the skin. They are inexpensive and fun to experiment with. I say go for it and see what you can come up with. Have fun!

Comment

I always thought the muffin tin was to keep the chicken uniform in size and shape for the sake of presentation at comps...I'll have to give it a whirl sometime to see if it actually changes the flavor profile. I think I'd go with toetter's method and would perforate the bottom, though, so the juices could leak out.

Comment

I would do this with ground chicken. I don't think I would ever do it with pieces. Especially bl/sl thighs, them things are so tasty.... but like most things, to each their own!

Comment

I'm just trying to figure out if this is the standard competition method. Not much out there on the interweb about it.

I dont think its something I'd do much. Just want to become a more rounded Q'er.

Unfortunately it seem that if you're going to compete you need to have this in your bag of tricks.

Comment

The standard is trimmed thighs. Although, lollipop drums are starting to appear more regularly. Here's a link to the BBQ Turn In Box Facebook page. Some really great, and not so great, examples of turn in boxes there.

From what I read, in Myron's book, there's two parts to the muffin technique. One part of it is geared towards putting a little crisp on the skin. I haven't ever tried it, but I know some people that have, and still do, that are very happy with the results they get.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here