Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Street tacos for ~90 ppl: how much meat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Street tacos for ~90 ppl: how much meat?

I'm planning on prepping chicken and steak street tacos with the standard staples to accompany them for a 90 person party. How much meat should I plan to buy (from Costco).

Im thinking chicken breast (or thighs?), skirt steak, beans, home made guacamole and salsa, cilantro, onion, etc.

ive never prepared for a group that large before. Need help and advice.

I'd allow for 2 to 4 ounces per taco.

Comment

Oh my. Where do I Starrt? Have you ever made tacos for 10? 20? Street tacos do not lend to skirt or other chunk. You need shred or "Great knife skills." For street tacos, they have samall corn tortillas not bigger than2" at most and doubled up so that at least 900-1100 small corn tortillas. How will you warm them? Hold them? Remember when you buy them they are like $1.20 each and you need a lot. Figure on 100 people having at least 4 to 5 each then incorporate the sides into the equation. Typically speaking you need 1.5x the amount of food you calculated.

Comment

Seems like about 25 lbs of meat, net, with all your other fixin's could be enough. Mexican food is designed to go lightish on the meat. If you use double 4" corn tortillas, and do 1.5 to 2 oz meat per taco (that's a reasonably generous taco), you get 200+ tacos. If you have a "normal" distribution of men & women that's a good starting point. If there's kids too, back it off a little. If this is "the food" for a multi hour party, multiply by 1.5. If it's just guys, run, run now.

Comment

I agree with Bruce54 on the final weight as a minimum you'd have to finish with. If it were me, though, I'd use Pork Butt and Chuck Roast starting weight of about 50 pounds of meat maybe up to 75 pounds if mostly men. Cook low and slow until probe tender and shred.

Comment

I think i might be in over my head and will just order pizza instead!
            its for a party for my own wedding weekend and it sounds like too much work. I know I can pull it off but not sure I want to. Maybe burgers and hot dogs

Comment

• martybartram
              martybartram commented
              Editing a comment
              If you weren't in Oregon I would offer to come over and do the cooking. I second the pork but idea, you can do a few of them ahead of time and freeze them. When is the date and CONGRATULATIONS!

Smoking meat for 90 people would be difficult on a kettle. You could smoke in advance and seal in ziplocs or vac seal. Then you could shred before the party and place in disposable warming trays. That would free you up to actually party with your guests. I'd hate to have to cook burgers and dogs for that many people. Or order pizza.

Comment

I agree with all above. Cook ahead or pay up. You want to party with the folk and celebrate 🎉 rather than work and shred.

congradulations!

Comment

• scottranda
                scottranda commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah, you'd be working your tail off if you tried to do it the day-of. Better to enjoy the friends and family.

Find a small Spanish place and see if they'd cater.
              You don't want to get stressed on you big day. Congratulations!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here