Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rubbery Chicken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rubbery Chicken

For the life of me, I can't get crispy chicken wings or skin on my Yoder Durango, even when I cook at higher temps. I did some thighs last night at 325º, and they were still rubbery. Perhaps I need to go to an even higher temp, like 375º or 400º. Thoughts?

Yep, take it to 375-400.

Comment

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      Agreed

375 is the sweet spot on my Traeger for crispy chicken.

Comment

I'm baking my chicken wings in my large BGE at 475°. I Preheat the cooker to 475° and put the wings in. 7 minutes later I open the dome and turn the wings with my tongs. I close the dome and let them cook for 7 more minutes... Done! Nice and crispy.👏👏👏

Where did I get that crazy idea? At Dominos.😆

Domino's makes much better chicken wings than I've ever been able to make at home. So... one day while I was standing in their store near my house waiting for my order of chicken wings to finish I asked the guy cooking them how hot do you have that fancy dancy conveyer oven turned up to? He said 475°. I said cool, how long does it take to travel from where you put them in until they come out the other side? He said 7 minutes. I said cool... then I told him I like mine with a crispy skin. He said cool... I'll run it through the oven twice then.😎

Sometimes you've just got ask the right guy the right questions.👌 That's reverse engineering at its finest!

However... I'm not done with that project yet because what makes Domino's wing better than anyone else's wings is their Mango/Habanero sauce that is the most Kick ass wing sauce to have EVER coated my taste buds. I'm actively working on reverse engineering that sauce.👍 I'm getting close. I've got the heat right with the proper quanity of habanero chilies but my version is too sweet so far, but I'm getting closer.🤔
      Last edited by Breadhead; July 18, 2017, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Baking powder also helps and so can steaming

Comment

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes on the baking powder... I mentioned baking powder in another thread. I learned that trick from Chef John at Allrecpies,com.👍

How are you preparing the chicken. Wet brining will not give you crisp skin. And leaving in the refrigerator overnight will help dry out the skin. When you dry brine, try a mixture of three parts kosher salt to one part baking powder:

Comment

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        I dry brine my in the fridge, no baking powder. I add the baking powder right before putting them in my cooker.

Higher heat does wonders to chicken

Comment

TallTrees you can get nice skin on the durango. I've wet brined and dry brined. It doesn't matter, both work. I usually run between 375-410. Here's some I did last year using game changer brine and cherry wood running around 375. Click image for larger version

Name:	20160614_145144 (1).jpg
Views:	135
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	349577
        Last edited by edible hen; July 18, 2017, 06:38 PM. Reason: Added photo

Comment

350° and Peekan.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7737.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	349608

Comment

• Sephon
            Sephon commented
            Editing a comment
            Dude, I want to eat that right now!

Breadhead Today, I ran about 400 for a whole chicken that I cut into pieces. Came out great. I may try Breadhead's idea of 475.

Comment

• scottranda
            scottranda commented
            Editing a comment
            Breadhead can you comment your preference on each one for direct and indirect heat?

• Breadhead
            Breadhead commented
            Editing a comment
            For chicken I don't use any direct heat. In my BGE I use my plate setter to make my cooker an oven so I'm baking my chicken. When I bake in the BGE I like to elevate my food up into the dome a few inches above the felt line because it's a little hotter up there. I cook to crispy looking skin.

• scottranda
            scottranda commented
            Editing a comment
            Breadhead thanks

Originally posted by RonB View Post
          How are you preparing the chicken. Wet brining will not give you crisp skin. And leaving in the refrigerator overnight will help dry out the skin. When you dry brine, try a mixture of three parts kosher salt to one part baking powder:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/10/h...ng-powder.html
          I usually splash some olive oil (with crushed chili peppers), and other seasoning (salt, pepper, paprika, and a few other seasonings that I'm forgetting), mix it all up, and then throw them on the smoker. I don't usually dry brine or refrigerate them overnight, as it's usually a spur of the moment desire, so I stop by the store and grab some wings, and cook them up within a few hours.

Comment

• RonB
            RonB commented
            Editing a comment
            And this doesn't work for you, so it's time to try something different. Read through this entire topic again and make a plan - preferably one that includes an overnight dry brine.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here