Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SV and reverse sear. Epic or disaster???? Something new.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SV and reverse sear. Epic or disaster???? Something new.

How about bacon wrapped chicken cordon bleu.
    Totally a new idea for me. I'm starting out with 4 12oz boneless skinless chicken breasts, yes they are huge. Made a large pocket in each one and took 2 slices of guyure cheese, wrapped them with 1 slice of ham, stuffed that into the chicken. I than put a little SnG rub on and wrapped with 4 slices of bacon each.

Into the bath 147* for 1hr 10min. Just lit the kbb.

More pics and write up to come. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1138.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	182.6 KB
ID:	337919Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1139.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	182.3 KB
ID:	337920Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1140.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	202.2 KB
ID:	337921
    Attached Files

This is gonna be epic! Can't wait for the results brother! You are killing it!

Comment

Very interesting - keep the photos coming.

Comment

I gotta see how this comes out! It may be my next week's lunch plan.

Comment

Keep the pics coming

Comment

you got some nice looking mummys there!!

Comment

• Steve B
              Steve B commented
              Editing a comment
              I kinda thought they looked more like footballs. Haha

• GadjetGriller
              GadjetGriller commented
              Editing a comment
              Now that you mention it they do!! look like foot balls. (I had just watched a show on The pyramids so must have had Mummy's on the brain lol)

That sucked. Just finished writing my post and it disappeared.
            Anyway.
            Overall thoughts.
            The chicken was juicy with a little firmness. Good.
            The bacon definitely needed to be more crunchy, prevalent. I can work on that
            Needs more cheese and ham. It seemed to disappear.

Next time I will butterfly the breasts and pound them out, than roll them up, more like a pinwheel. I think that will make this dish 95% better.

My overall rating would be 6 on a scale of 1-10. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1141.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	174.3 KB
ID:	338013Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1142.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	177.3 KB
ID:	338014

Comment

That looks pretty tasty! I totally agree with you on pounding flat. And more cheese. What's not to like about more cheese?

Comment

• Steve B
                Steve B commented
                Editing a comment
                Absolutely my brother absolutely.

I think I would cook them indirectly, first. Cook at like 350 F - 400 F to crisp up the bacon. Then go over the fire.

Great pictures. That one needs to be on the Feed the Flame thread!

Comment

I think pinwheels would be a great way to get more cheese!

Comment

• Steve B
                  Steve B commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I agree.

Steve B Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Did you have any problem with the bacon sticking? I've SV-Q'd a couple of bacon-wrapped pork loins recently. The first one I just used grill spray on the grates and the bacon stuck horribly. The second time I lightly brushed the bacon-wrapped loin with an herbed mayo (fresh lemon-thyme from the garden mixed with Duke's mayo). This was the first time I tried the mayo trick and it worked like a champ. Virtually no sticking and no residual mayo taste.

Comment

• Steve B
                  Steve B commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Maybe a little sticking but not much.
                  I didn't use anything on the grill either. So might just have gotten lucky??

Steve B those "footballs" looked amazing. Nice wrap. I think I'm with Spinaker. The SV creates moisture and ooze. I just told SWMBO we are making this soon. Indirect seems to be the way rather than sear. Also the bacon can be parcooked prior to the wrap but may not be necessary. The thicker the wrap the harder the bacon is to cook underneath.

i just looked at this again. Those are some real beauties!!
                Last edited by HouseHomey; June 26, 2017, 07:53 AM.

Comment

What a great idea! Keep the experiments coming!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here