Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pulled Chicken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulled Chicken

Morning all,

Planning on doing my first pulled chicken sandwiches on Saturday and noticed a discrepancy between the recipe in Meathead's book and the website. Book says cook indirect at 225, website says 325 (website recipe for smoked chicken has the suggestion on making pulled chicken).

I'm learning higher heat is the preference here for poultry and was wondering if the book has a simple copy editing error, if cookng lower and slower is better for shredded chicken or if it really doesn't matter in this case as Meathead suggests cooking the skin separately to make it crunchy?

Thanks!

With pulled chicken I'm not worried about the skin, so, I would say that if you are doing thighs you could do low and slow. Breast I would be worried a bit about drying out. Whole chicken, somewhere in the middle.

Comment

I always start with "how will it be used." As said above Gooner-que you are not cooking for skin. So low is ok I would separate the white and dark meat and pull accordingly. Higher heat is for crispier skin.

Comment

Just pay attention to the chicken! I do pulled chicken with boneless skinless thighs. Season heavily and cook stretched out, not balled up. It's not going to take long to cook even cooking low. I pull the chicken into strands into a pit-safe pan (removing fat and any tendons), season it again and sauce it. Back on the cooker it goes. Turn it every 10 minutes or so (again, pay attention to the chicken!). Serve and enjoy!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here