Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Juiciest Chicken Ever - Did I goof?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Juiciest Chicken Ever - Did I goof?

Last night I cooked my first chickens on my new Primo XL. Two 3 pounders, cut in quarters and rubbed with Simon & Garfunkel. Cooked for about 1.5 hours at 325. I did goof by setting the prob temp for the breasts at 180. However, these were the juiciest chickens, by far, that we have ever had. One of my sons said it was too juicy (as if that could ever be a problem). Anyway, my question is why. Did they come out that juicy because of the type of grill (kamado)? Sorry no pics. When I realized I set the probe to 180, I made a mad dash to the grill to get them off and forgot.

The Primo does cook really well, and yes, it does provide just the right moist environment, so it sure helps. The type of chicken you got is by far more important (quality, weight et.c.), but ceramic grills seem to excel att cooking moist chickens in my experience. Next time, pics or it didn't happen !

Comment

Kamado's cook chicken better than any other cooker... 2nd best is Weber kettle & SnS.
      Attached Files

Comment

maybe check your thermostat/probes for accuracy just in case

Comment

My suspicion is the probe was too far through, more near to the other outer surface than the true center. If the center of a breast was truly 180F I find it hard to believe it'd be anything other than cardboard. But regardless, congrats on the successful chicken cook! Perfectly cooked chicken is an underrated delicacy. I've never cooked one on a kamado but I have on stickburners, uprights, kettles and PBC, and ain't none of 'em not good!

Comment

Oh yeah, you goofed, & ya wanna know why, you know why, you said it, NO PICS! So, there was no chicken, juice or cooker. Now, let that teach ya a lesson!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here