Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Temperature cheat for safe chicken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Temperature cheat for safe chicken

Safe chicken breast should be 165 degrees - so I've been told by Meathead. But they taste a bit better at 155. Not worth the risk, though, says the boss. My question is - what about using your technique for safe burgers? Could you dunk the chicken in boiling water for 30 seconds or so and be able to safely stop the cook at 155 degrees? Just a thought.

Welcome from Indiana.

not sure I would want to risk it. Plus I actually prefer dark meat a bit over 165.

Comment

In my opinion, (and it's only that), I would rather risk tryin' to sandpaper an alligator's ass in a telephone booth, than cheat around much on chicken, or fish temps...
      Yer Mileage May Vary!
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; June 3, 2017, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Give this a read: http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html

DouglasBaldwin has done a great job of 'splainin' (with a nod to Mr. Bones ) all about it ...

Comment

Originally posted by diamondb View Post
          Safe chicken breast should be 165 degrees - so I've been told by Meathead. But they taste a bit better at 155. Not worth the risk, though, says the boss. My question is - what about using your technique for safe burgers? Could you dunk the chicken in boiling water for 30 seconds or so and be able to safely stop the cook at 155 degrees? Just a thought.
          Sous vide.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Bones View Post
          In my opinion, (and it's only that), I would rather risk tryin' to sandpaper an alligator's ass in a phone booth, than cheat around on chicken, or fish temps...
          Yer Mileage May Vary!
          You Sir, are too much! On the other hand, there might be a marriage between sous vide and the grill..

Comment

There are published time/temperature combinations that will produce safe poultry at a range of temperatures from 136 to >165. These ranges are followed to produce safe, RTE products. Temps above 165 do not require a hold time. Poultry cooked to 155 would need to be held at that temp for around 45 seconds to 1 minute after it hits 155. If you wanted safe chicken cooked to 136, once it hits 136 internal, it would need to be maintained at 136 for about 75 minutes.
            Last edited by Zman23; June 3, 2017, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Welcome diamondb

Comment

Thanks for the responses and the welcomes. My question was really whether 30 seconds in a 212 degree bath would pasteurize the outer thin layer - where I presume the bacteria are - making it safe for the inside of the meat to be cooler. I know there are no guidlnes for this. Just a thought.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here