Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Success - Capon - First Cook On New Kamado

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Success - Capon - First Cook On New Kamado

Well, had my first cook on my new Primo Oval XL. Had this 7.5 lb. capon in the basement freezer for 4 1/2 years. Took the plastic off and it did smell a little bit like freezer but, just couldn't bring myself to throw it away. Also figured if I screwed up the cook, it wouldn't hurt so bad. I used Franklin's recipe of just salt and pepper but, didn't wrap with a ton of butter as he did with his small turkey. And, I definitely put on way too much pepper. Got the smoker all setup, full box of charcoal with both deflector plates and drip tray. Then put my prob in, 320 degrees, closed the lid and went back into the kitchen to find that I forgot my chunk of wood! Was right there on the counter! That's my ADHD kicking in! Anyway, there was no way I was going to take it all apart to throw in one chunk of wood. Nevertheless, it came out pretty smoky/tasty without the wood. Used the drippings for a GREAT gravy. All in all a SUCCESS!!!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	PrimoScale.jpg Views:	2 Size:	3.35 MB ID:	322310

Seasoned and Ready to Cook
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Seasoned.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.35 MB ID:	322311

All Set - 310-320 degrees
    Click image for larger version  Name:	AllSet.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.10 MB ID:	322312

One Hour In
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Capon_1hr.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.00 MB ID:	322313

165-170 Degrees & Done!
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Capon_Done.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.12 MB ID:	322314

Rested & Ready to Slice!
    Click image for larger version  Name:	ReadyToSlice.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.07 MB ID:	322315
    Last edited by Omega-Man; May 22, 2017, 01:14 PM.

Beautiful!!

Comment

Looks great. So are you going to freezer age birds in the future?

Comment

• Omega-Man
        Omega-Man commented
        Editing a comment
        No! I just have to go through my freezer and weed out the old. I have a tendency to freeze things and forget they are there!

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here