Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doing chicken on the SnS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doing chicken on the SnS?

Hi! Im playing around with the SnS I got yesterday, so far I have been VERY impressed with this thing!.

Im planning to do tonight some chicken. Before the SnS I just salt-pepper thighs and legs, stack the charcoal on one side and cook them via indirect for a while, turning them a few times, and then finish up on the coals for crisp skin.

Now, however, I got the SnS and a couple of thermometers (A smoke and a thermopen)... So I want to do this the right way!

So with this, I would love to know a few things:
    a) What should be the target themperature on the indirect side?
    b) How much time would you guys suggest to run the cooking?
    c) What's the target temperature for the cooked chicken, pre-searing skin? (I would assume it would be somewhere around 165°?)

Plus, any suggestions would be awesome! (I would love to try the Simon and Garfunkel rub, problem is, sage is an uncommon spice down there, haven't had any luck trying to find it)

Try this

Just posted this chicken thigh video to YouTube. Y'all might flame me a bit for the temps we cooked at, but trust me, it works. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ec

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep... that will work. I like 400° for skin on chicken.👍

When using the SnS in my kettle, I light a whole chimney, open both vents all the way, put the chix on the indirect side and let her rip. That should make the skin crisp without searing.

Comment

325 minimum for skin-on chicken, under 350 max for sugary rubs, 325-400 or so for herbal rubs. Half to 3/4 chimney of well-lit charcoal, no unlit charcoal needed. No water needed. Plan on 45 min to 1hr, roughly.

Comment

What RonB said, only I do bottom vent halfway. It will run about 375 for 50 to 60 min.

Comment

Thank you all! Followed the video from Dave and it was spot on. The chicken came out tender, juicy with crispy skin. I even managed to snag some dried sage from a specialty shop so we tried (And loved!) Meathead's Simon & Garfunkel rub.

Thank you all for your tips!

Comment

If there is a con to AR is, you will be flooded with helpful hints. Every hint might be 1 degree different, but pretty much the same page. And, yeah, isn't that Simon & Garfunkel rub just the best? Glad you had a great chicken & it sounds like you had some fun doing it, & that's the game we're in.

Comment

Rancherstriker ... AR's science of BBQ & Grilling is stellar information! Combine that information with the assistance you receive from fellow Pit Members in the Pit and you've just gained a Phd in outdoor cooking. The $2 per month for using the Pit is the best investment I've ever made for my BBQ/Grilling hobby. People actually think I know what I'm doing.🙄

Comment

• FireMan
                FireMan commented
                Editing a comment
                Oh, little what they know. 😎

• Breadhead
                Breadhead commented
                Editing a comment
                They're not Pit members... they are easy to fool.🤗

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here