Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tandoori Chicken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tandoori Chicken

Dusted down the ancient Scottish Tandoori recipe for dinner tonight 😜...served with smoked and seared veg and a tamarind & other stuff in the pantry reduction.
    Attached Files

That looks great. How hot does that cooker get?

Comment

I've never measured it in all honesty BM but I pretty much only use it for high heat searing and occasionally the rotisserie(see pic) Quite often I take stuff out of sous vide bath and finish it on this and with enough charcoal you can certainly crank it up as hot as I need for a good crust. It has an element underneath which you can crank up mid cook for a heat boost. anything low and slow I do on the GMG or in the wood fired oven.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Butchman
        Butchman commented
        Editing a comment
        That rotisserie is cool.

• Bukowski's Burnt Ends
        Bukowski's Burnt Ends commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't use it enough to be honest. It's pretty cool, you can adjust it 3 different heights and the motor that's built in is pretty robust. It's a decent unit if a bit unconventional.

That thing is as clean as a whistle. You & fuzzydaddy ought to hit it off well.
      Did you SV the chicken and/or how long was the cook over coals? I just did Japanese chix breast for 8 min on high sear, still needs some work.

Comment

Hi Fireman, no sous vide on the chicken this time, just high heat over the coals for maybe 8-10 mins. The yoghurt marinade is pretty forgiving even if you overcook slightly. If I'm doing chicken SV I tend to go around the 63c mark for breast and tenderloins and a little higher for the darker meat. The BBQ is only 6 months old so it's pretty clean. I take the parts into my workplace and get the mechanics to put them in the robowash which is for cleaning/reconditioning car parts. It gets them spotless!!

Comment

• Steve R.
          Steve R. commented
          Editing a comment
          Jealous!!

Bukowski's Burnt Ends, I would Commit Murder and Mayham for a 👍👍 Copy of Your Tandoori Chicken Recipe❓👍👍
        🐣 Happy Easter! 🐣
        Peat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Mr. Bukowski, you certainly have your act together. Found a link to that beautiful char griller and rotis:

Thanks, sir, for showing me your classy method to prepare and grill and this very interesting new object for mcs.

As noted by the troops above, in case you wanted to share that awesome-looking tandoori chicken recipe, you would surely have lots of happy lads in Meathead-Land!

Comment

• Bukowski's Burnt Ends
            Editing a comment
            Cheers JH, yeah that's it. I nearly bought the bigger one which will take a hog but I'm mostly cooking for the wife and me so it was probably overkill.
            It's a really good unit which complements my smoker well,the self lighting function is handy, you can press during the cook for a turbo charge!

Thanks for the interest fellas, it's very humbling for a newbie to the pit.

Tandoori marinade recipe is as below:

500ml natural unsweetened yoghurt
          1 TBS or good pinch of Chilli powder to your taste
          1 tsp Garam Masala
          1/2 tsp Coriander powder
          1 tsp Salt
          1 heaped TBS Pataks Tandoori paste or similar
          1 level TBS Garlic/Ginger paste
          1 heaped TBS red food colouring or enough to make it a deep red orange colour (this is purely aesthetic so skip if your not big on colourings)
          1 tsp mint sauce
          few squirts of Lemon Juice

Mix all the above in a large bowl and toss in whatever chicken parts you fancy using and rub them all in. I like to score the chicken a little and let it get in all those nooks and crannies. Cover and leave on for at least 3-4 hrs but ideally overnight.

Next day crank the grill up nice and hot and cook as you would normally for any sizzling chicken dish. Ideally you let a good char develop before turning over the chicken. Any smoke within reason is a good thing. You could also skewer and do as kebabs. Whatever you like.

N.B. The ingredients are all widely available here generally in a supermarket but especially cheap in an Indian or Sri Lankan ethnic grocers. If you don't have access to somewhere like that, maybe only the ginger/garlic paste may be a stretch at the supermarket ; it's is really just a 50/50 mix of the two fresh ingredients (peeled) which you can either blitz yourself in a blender from fresh or mix the two jar pastes like you can buy in the supermarket.
          If you can't get specifically pataks tandoori paste, any decent vindaloo or curry paste will work well enough.These pastes have 10-15 ingredients in some ghee or oil which give a nice complexity. It must be a paste though not just a simmer sauce. You can make your own but the ingredients list starts getting lengthy!!

Any questions give me a shout, naturally any of the minor ingredients can be omitted to personal taste and change amount of chilli powder to suit as I like a good kick in mine.

Good luck, would love to see any pics!!

Comment

@ Bukowski's Burn't Ends, 👍👍 Thank You Very Much!👍👍. I can't wait to Take a Run at Your Tandoori Chicken Recipe! Have to Check out the Grocery Stores and Ethnic Markets First! 🐣🐣 Happy Easter to You and Yours Down Under! 🐣🐣.
            From Us Up Yonder @ +- 47* N Lat!
            Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

• Bukowski's Burnt Ends
              Editing a comment
              Cheers Dan, happy Easter to you and yours 👍

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here