Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Resting a boneless, skinless turkey breast / faux cambro question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resting a boneless, skinless turkey breast / faux cambro question

Was planning on smoking two, 2-pound boneless, skinless turkey breast tomorrow. Because of time constraints, I need to finish it up around 3:00 pm, but won't be able to slice and serve it 'til around 7:00. I've read a lot of posts that if I was cooking a brisket and didn't have a faux cambro (which I don't), I could keep it in the oven at 170 for several hours, before letting it rest 'til it settled at 140-145. But with the turkey, since I'm going to pull it off my WSM at 160 degrees, and my oven won't go below 170, I'm not sure how I can hold it long enough before it dips down to 140 degrees where I'm going to slice and serve. Any ideas for me, or is the answer, "buy a faux cambro tomorrow morning" or "just cook the dang bird another time"? Much thanks.

I have kept a turkey in a faux cambro for 3 to 4 hours and it was still so hot that I needed my insulated rubber gloves to handle it. My cambro consists of a 30 quart cooler and as many towels that I can wrap the meat up in and still get the lid to close, works like a charm. Of course I wrap the meat in aluminum foil first. The meat is always hot and juicy when I take it out.

Comment

Trying to think outside the box here, but not coming up with much. If you had a SV machine, it'd be easy. Same if you had a cooler to faux cambro with. You could take the chance with the 170 oven, though it's a bit warmer than I'd want. Wrap it up well? Maybe a moist towel over foil? Got a dutch oven you could put it in? Main thing is trying to reduce the drying out of the slightly higher temp than you wanted.

Comment

Put it in th' 170° oven, leave th' door partway open. Can use an oven thermo on th' rack near pan if ya' haveta. Adjust door or temp settings to hold desired temp.
        Poof! Bob's yer uncle!
        It's worked for me.
        I know other cambro-less methods as well, learned from transportin' food several hours' drive to family events, if yer interested.
        All can be done with things ya' already have around th' house.
        LMK

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, I was thinking the open door too. Was not too sure whether that would get it too hot now and then. Should work.

If you're going to be around the house you could let your oven run a few minutes until it hits ~165 then turn it off and repeat as necessary. Of course wrap them well in foil first and keep a food probe in to monitor their temp.

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions! So, it turns out, I was able to put the turkey on later in the day (thought I was going to have to watch my 10-month-old), so I can let the turkey rest about an hour before serving. Tomorrow I'll pick up a cooler to faux cambro, so I won't be in this situation again. That being said, I have an oven thermometer, so putting the oven at 170 and then keeping the door open a little bit would definitely have done the trick. Thanks again everyone!

Comment

• Smoking77
            Smoking77 commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh, and when I'm done with the turkeys, I wanted to post pics, notes, and questions, so I can learn for my next cook. I'm new to the site; should I post all of that on this thread, or start a new one?

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            I'd put them here for the continuity.

I have had to hold turkey breasts in the past. Many times they are sold as a frozen unit, flat side to flat side as a big breast. I separate, rub, inject and cook. After cooking, I put them back together, flat side to flat side. I then wrap in butcher paper and foil over the butcher paper and put it in the oven, which is off. I put it in a foil pan and cover again with more foil. When I unwrap, the moisture is still present. The temp is still good. I've never held them for more than three hours.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here