Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Last minute cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last minute cook

Yesterday afternoon I called the Mrs. and asked her if she even though about what to do for dinner. Of course she gave the standard response of "no you normally deal with that since you like to cook". Yay for me right? Not so much. Was really busy with work to that point in the day and didn't really know what to do. Then it clicked. The local grocery store, Winn Dixie, was having a sale on chickens around $1.09/lb for whole chickens. Drove over there real quick to pick one up, but ended up picking up 3. Got home, rubbed her down, injected the breasts with a little condition I make.

Fired up the smoker to around 310 and put the bird on and let it cook for around 2 hours.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0358.JPG Views:	2 Size:	3.98 MB ID:	297318

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0359.JPG Views:	1 Size:	4.13 MB ID:	297317
    While cooking I also mopped the bird with some lemon black pepper butter that I mix over the stove.
    Attached Files

Looks good! If you're looking for any tips- try cooking chicken at 325+, or my favorite temp 340. You can get the avg 4-6lb bird done in about 75 min and the skin gets nice & crispy. Keep up the good work.

Comment

• cwain8845
      cwain8845 commented
      Editing a comment
      I will keep that in mind. I used to cook chicken around 250 and that was not exactly agreed upon on this site so I started going over 300. Since then I have already noticed a difference. Next time I will go even hotter.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      cwain8845 I find that the hotter cook, both with chicken (especially white meat) and any other lean meat like pork loin or loin chops, makes for a quicker cook which keep the meat much juicier. It also help the dark meat get up to 180 while the breasts stay near 160. Perfect combo if you ask me.

Victory is Yours! Nice save.

Comment

My wife says, cook on honey, too. But, I like to so it a win-win

Comment

Very nice looking cook. Thanks for the pictures too.

Comment

Looks great! Congrats!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here