Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Spatchchock Turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Spatchchock Turkey

I've been wanting to try this for a few months since I got to partake in a Norman Rockwell version from a PBC at a dinner party thrown by Brookie.

The Guest of Honor:
    I was able to find a very minimally processed 13 pound bird at a local grocery. The bird came from Diestal Ranch in the California foothills. It wasn't injected or enhanced and the contents label indicated a sodium level of only 70 mg/serving. So, it was a perfect candidate for dry brining. Dry brined for 26 hours, uncovered in the fridge then used the olive oil wetted S&G rub under and over the skin as directed by Meathead. Then into the 22" Weber fitted with a SnS using KBB and a 1.5 oz. piece of cherry wood, Got the grate temperature stabilized at about 335* and pulled the bird when the IT reached 160*, which was 105 minutes into the cook.

Dressed up for the Dance With Fire
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Turkey_1_sized.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	350.3 KB
ID:	268402

The Gravy:
    I prepared the gravy pretty much in accordance with the recipe, but I made it stove top the day before so I could put it in the fridge overnight to defat it. I substituted a bottle of cheap ($7) chardonnay (around here they use this stuff to put out fires!) for one quart of the water. Cooked it down for a couple of hours, strained and refrigerated. It never saw the inside of the Weber.

The Grand Entrance
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Turkey_2_sized.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	336.1 KB
ID:	268403

Conclusions:
    1. It is clear that many hours of research and practice went into this recipe. The turkey came out fantastic with incredibly crisp skin and very moist meat. If you follow the steps and are observant, success is practically guaranteed.
    2. The seasoning and smoke levels were perfect. Nothing covered up the turkey flavor that we all enjoy.
    3. The gravy didn't turn out as well as I had hoped. There was a citrus-like flavor that most likely came from the cheap-ass wine. Next time, I will use a better wine and less of it, say about two cups. Also, to add richness I would substitute a quart of chicken stock for one of the water and reduce it more before defatting.

Looks fabulous! This site has put turkey in this house more often

Comment

Good looking cook.

Comment

Beautiful. Is that just for you? Only see plate (platter)? Great job

Comment

• OneEyedJack
          OneEyedJack commented
          Editing a comment
          I shared with my wife. MIL will be getting a Care Package today. Left overs tonight. The other half and carcass were vacuumed packed and frozen for indulgence later.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here