Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ultimate Smoked Turkey - To Pit Barrel or not....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ultimate Smoked Turkey - To Pit Barrel or not....

Hi there,

I'm just about to try Meathead's Ultimate Smoked Turkey for Christmas dinner and I'm wondering if anyone has used a Pit Barrel to cook it and if so how did you set it up to catch drippings?

It's a 17lb bird, so ideally it would be in the PBC or my Weber kettle to free up oven space.

Thanks,
    Sy

Welcome Sy_662

Comment

A hearty welcome from Illinois.

I did a whole turkey on the PBC right after Thanksgiving and it may have been the best turkey I have ever had and I am long in the tooth.

Unfortunately, I don't think anyone has figured out how to catch drippings in the PBC. Although you can always buy extra turkey wings or legs and go from there.

Comment

Hi there,
        the pbc does amazing with turkeys! Ive read in the past that its easier to just roast some extra parts for drippings because as @Ischweig said best turkey ive ever had as well. I never missed the gravy either it was that good.
        Jim

Comment

• lschweig
          lschweig commented
          Editing a comment
          3DJ the first letter in my handle is L not I, just thought I would mention it to you.

And here I thought you were going to say, " to Pit Barrel or not to Pit Barrel, that is the question".
        Pray tell, get out the PBC & smoke it man, smoke it!

Comment

You will never do turkey any other way after you do one in the PBC. As far as drippings are concerned, I made gordon ramseys turkey gravy but i used the neck and giblets and a small pack of chicken wings to make the gravy and it came out excellent.

Comment

Welcome from Indiana.

That exact question was recently asked. Here is the link to the recent thread on PBC turkey and drippings.

Comment

I cooked 2 12 pounders for Thanksgiving. Keep your temp up around 350. Your turkey will be cooked to perfection in in about 2 hours!

Comment

Welcome Sy_662! We'd love to get an intro from you over in the Introduce Yourself channel when you get a minute. Thanks!

Comment

I do my turkey in the PBC, always great. I have a Hovergrill the I place over coal basket, it holds the pan with all the stuff in it to catch the drippings and make the gravy. Without a Hovergrill, perhaps a couple of bricks holding the PBC's grate over the coal basket would work.

Comment

Thanks everyone!! This is super helpful!!

Stoney did you find the hover grill method affected the level of smoke/cook time? Can the heat circulate with a pan in the way?

Thanks again! Sy

Comment

Sy_662 Part of the wonderful flavor imparted by the PBC comes from those drippings vaporizing as they hit the coals. For that reason, I don't catch the drippings.

I make my gravy, as some have said, from the backbone, wings, etc using Serious Eats recipe.

I spatchcock my turkey for the PBC, but you can do it whole, with or without PBC's turkey hanger.

If you're only doing one turkey, use only one rebar, placed diagonally, and leave the other rebar out. That way your PBC temperature will hover around 350 the entire cook, and you won't have to fiddle with cracking the lid to get the temperature up.

And be prepared for the best-tasting turkey you ever had! The PBC rocks turkeys (and chickens too).

Kathryn

Comment

Like others, I roast "spare parts" in an oven for drippings and augment with store-bought turkey stock.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here