Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My practice Turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My practice Turkey

I'm new to smoking and never cooked or smoked a Turkey. Have a new 36 inch Lang reverse smoker that I'm learning on. My wife wanted a smoked turkey for our family Christmas dinner, so I figured I better practice. So I did.

Thawed out the bird for two days in the refrigerator, spatchcocked it and sprinkled it with Kosher salt (even tho i'm an Irishman). A couple of hours later it was rubbed with olive oil and dusted with Simon and Garfunkel's rub. Preheated the Lang to about 350 and put in the spatchcocked turkey and a roasting pan with ( as per the recipe) the makin's for Granny's gravy. Monitored temps and kept the Lang at about 350 average across the top grill where the bird was. At the one hour mark I rotated the bird 180 degrees. When the temps in the thigh and breast were at 165, I pulled it and took it in the kitchen. As I lifted it off the grill, the legs just pulled away from the main bird. Cut the whole breast off and sliced it across the grain and I gotta tell ya, that was the juiciest piece of breast meat I have ever had. So I'm proud of my first try at smoking a Turkey. a lot of other firsts were made here also. Modified my smokers smokestack to get the smoke off my screened in porch. Extended it 8 feet with dryer vent tubing. It now exits up above the porch. First time to spatchcock anything, first time to make and use Simon and Garfinkels rub, first time to smoke a turkey. So here's a picture of my first Turkey.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Practice turkey.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	223.2 KB
ID:	250517

Sorry for the long post, but I told you I was an Irishman, i also kissed the Blarney Stone and you all wanted to know the particulars of how it was smoked. I would appreciate your comments on my practice run. OH buy the way Granny's gravy came out just fine.

Best regards from NW Florida.
    OB One

Beautiful cook. My practice run will be on Christmas Day. Wish me luck.

Comment

Nice!!

Comment

you just nailed it! nicely done!

Comment

Looks good! the gravy was a hit at my house on Thanksgiving.

Comment

Yes - you nailed it. You might want to write down exactly what you did in a log so that you can repeat exactly the next time.

Comment

Looks Great! Congrats.

Comment

Nice cook...👍

Comment

That's a fine looking practice bird! Here's to your Christmas cook going at least as well ... if not better ...

Comment

Beautiful

Comment

That's a good lookin bird. Well done.

Comment

So much for practice. Sounds & looks like a precision piece to me. Job well done.

Comment

Looks wonderful! Enjoy!

Comment

Thanks for all the kind comments. You all have a great Christmas.
                            Best regards from NW Florida.
                            PS; No snow again today!

Comment

Great job on that turkey!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X
                              false
                              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                              false
                              false
                              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                              Yes
                              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here