Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First turkey on the Kettle with SnS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First turkey on the Kettle with SnS

Well I think it was a success. Got my smoke thermometer and SnS. I put a half chimney of unlit coals in and then a half of lit coals on top and added a few chunks of hictory. The temp on the kettle was holding at 325. Didn't have to adjust it one bit. However the grate probe was reading around 235-250 the entire time. Is that normal? Overall, the bird was moist and vet tasty. I followed the spatchcock recipe to a t. Everyone loved it. Any pointers are welcomed. Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Noverini; November 28, 2016, 10:59 PM.

The lid gauge will always be much higher than the actual grate temp, so yeah this is normal. Always go by the grate temp, disregard the lid temp gauge. Heat rises and more heat will collect upward nearer the lid, but you're not cooking up there your meat is on the grate. On a 225ish cook, the lid gauge, if positioned overtop the coals in the SnS (vent overtop the meat) will read about 75 deg higher that the great temp on average, which is almost exactly what you're seeing in your cook here.

Comment

• Noverini
      Noverini commented
      Editing a comment
      When it says to cook the bird at 325, is that grate temp?

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, 325 is the preferred grate temp.

325F or higher is your target grate temp for birds if you are trying to get that crispy, bite thru skin. That's indirect grate temp where the meat sits, NOT the temp over the coals. 225 will make you a fine, juicy bird but the skin will be rubbery unless you roll it over the direct heat at the end of the cook. If you choose to do that, don't walk away, it's likely you will have a huge flare up, but it can be done successfully.

Comment

• Noverini
      Noverini commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you. Next time I will open the vents more. is my grate probe in a good spot?

• GadjetGriller
      GadjetGriller commented
      Editing a comment
      What AZRedneck wrote is correct but by that same token if something aint broke dont fix it!! If what you did last time was cheered by all why mess with a good thing!! I know it can always be better!! LoL good luck!! Christmas dinner is just around the corner!!

Noverini Yes, as AZ says it's always grate temp. Go ahead and pretend your lid thermometer isn't even there, disregard it. And as far as probe placement, you're good. You want to try to stay 2-3" from the meat, since cold meat will have a cold air 'bubble' around it, skewing your temps. The bigger the meat the less room we have, but yours in your 2nd pic looks exactly how I'd do mine.

Comment

Great bird & the important thing, everyone loved it. Cool!

Comment

Noverini, Young Feller, 👍Your Turkey 👍 Looks Great!👍 Keep at It!
        Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Nice work! You know, of course, you will now be the turkey chef for all future Thanksgivings.

Comment

Beautiful

Comment

Thanks everyone. Getting ready for round two and I may not use any wood this time... now I just need to find a bird !

Comment

One question, when I dry brine it, should it be spatchcocked?

Comment

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  They cook easier, quicker, and more uniformly when spatchcocked, and they'll dry brine easier on the inside (which becomes the bottom) when spatchcocked. Always dry brine 360 degrees around when you can. Much harder to do with an intact bird.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here