Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spatchcocked turkey - Weber/SnS or PBC ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spatchcocked turkey - Weber/SnS or PBC ?

So - I have options this year for cooking/smoking the turkey, and except for a couple of chickens this summer, I'm out of practice on birds!

To start with, I have a 15# bird (not big, not small), so think accordingly.

With the 22.5" Weber and SnS option, will this bird fit? Orientation - butt toward the SnS , or breast side toward the SnS ?

PBC - Bird in the usual hanging position, legs down. Will the drumsticks overcook? Foil ? Or do the whole thing on the rack ?

And - it's going to raining! ALL day, and mid 40s. So which will keep the 325F temp better ? I'm thinking I'll be doing some fiddling to keep the PBC there.

Timing - I'm allowing around 4 hours for the cook - OK ?

This sounds like an opportunity for an interesting science experiment. Rather than just spatchcocking the bird, cut it in half and cook one half on the Weber and the other on the PBC. It'd be interesting to compare the results ... especially with plenty of pics ... ...

Comment

• BruceB
      BruceB commented
      Editing a comment
      That might be fun in other circumstances, but did I mention the rain? And the XYL will be keeping me more than busy doing a hundred other last minute things.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Great idea. The SnS will largely take care of itself, and from what I understand so will the PBC for the most part.

Here's a pic of the standard 22" kettle with SnS and a 13lb turkey. Your 15lber may very well be doable, but it will be tight. You may have to cleverly arrange it. It will hold 325 very easily.

Click image for larger version

Name:	abcturkey.PNG
Views:	102
Size:	372.6 KB
ID:	242907

Your PBC is obviously much easier to cook a larger bird w/o worry of it being cramped. But, you may have some tinkering to get it to hold your temp w/ the standard lighting procedures. From what I understand, fzxdoc has an enormous post and I'm sure it offers help (somewhere within) how best to do poultry. There may be a better way to do it up at the 325+ range besides having to crack the lid.

Comment

• BruceB
      BruceB commented
      Editing a comment
      OK, great picture. Answers most of the SnS option questions. I'm really tending toward the Weber for simplicity's sake.

Originally posted by Huskee View Post
    There may be a better way to do it up at the 325+ range besides having to crack the lid.
    For a single bird, just use one rebar inserted diagonally. The will ensure that the bird is centered over the coals, leave 2 rebar holes open (which should get the PBC up into the poultry temp range), and likely eliminate the need for fiddling with the lid.

Comment

If you use the PBC, legs go up breast down according to Noah's video.

Comment

Originally posted by Mbmorgan View Post

For a single bird, just use one rebar inserted diagonally. The will ensure that the bird is centered over the coals, leave 2 rebar holes open (which should get the PBC up into the poultry temp range), and likely eliminate the need for fiddling with the lid.
        How many coals do you start with (lit & unlit) for a chicken cook in the PBC? There's no need to fill the basket for a 2hr cook, right?

Comment

• MBMorgan
          MBMorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          Technically, you are correct. However, given the PBC's sensitivity to coal-lighting technique, I always go with a full basket. KBB is inexpensive (esp. if you stock up when it's on sale) and I figure that it's just cheap insurance to go with the Full Monty lighting procedure every time.

• MBMorgan
          MBMorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          I should also mention that because you're cooking poultry at significantly higher temps than the PBC's "normal" 270 to 290 F, you're going to be burning through charcoal potentially much faster ... making it difficult to estimate how much of a reduced load is going to be enough.

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks MBMorgan. I know from experimenting with temps & longevity for the SnS, starting with the same lit coals for temp, but more or less unlit coals gives more or less longevity. I was wondering what y'all did in the PBC world.

Originally posted by JohnF View Post
        If you use the PBC, legs go up breast down according to Noah's video.
        Only if using the turkey hanger. If you're hanging the bird on hooks, you need to cook legs down because there's nothing sturdy enough to hold the bird safely if you try to hook into the rear of the bird.

Comment

• BruceB
          BruceB commented
          Editing a comment
          Correct !

BruceB, I'm glad you asked this question because I am in exactly the same predicament. I'm trying to choose between the Weber/SnS or the PBC, but I only have a 12# bird so no issue with space in the Weber. Also, I live in Everett, so will also have the rain issue. I'm probably going to go with the Weber, but haven't fully decided. This thread has helped though.

Comment

• BruceB
          BruceB commented
          Editing a comment
          I just re-commissioned the stored deck umbrella and positioned it to shelter the Weber. The final deciding factor was that we wanted to catch drippings, so we have a plan! Good luck with the weather, it just started blowing and raining here, it's heading your way !

Good luck! Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	81
Size:	198.9 KB
ID:	242971

Comment

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice umbrella!

How long does it take to bake a 20lb spatchcocked turkey at 325°? About 90 minutes?

Comment

• BruceB
          BruceB commented
          Editing a comment
          REALLY ? Then I am waaaaay too early

• BruceB
          BruceB commented
          Editing a comment
          It all worked out, kept the temp about 280 at the grille, it was actually 325 an inch or so above the bird.

Out after 2:15,covered it loosely and kept it on a warning tray. until everything else was ready.

Wife and daughter proclaimed it the best turkey ever !

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          It took 135 minutes to get to 160°... 😎

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here