Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thanksgiving turkey on a Weber Kettle - no SnS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanksgiving turkey on a Weber Kettle - no SnS

Good afternoon all,

My first post here, and what an amazing community it is. Can't wait to get to know you all more!

So, I'm looking to cook a 12-15 lbs turkey this week on one of my Weber Kettle's (22.5"). I'm really looking for some advice and technique from the experts here as I've never done a turkey before (smoked a few whole chickens before). I don't have a Slow-n-sear (yet), so will just be using traditional coal-placing methods.

When I've done brisket and pork butt's before, I have had great success with the ring/snake method. Would indirect cooking work best for something like this? I've read a couple of posts where others have used this method...about 1/2 chimney of unlit coals underneath lit ones, bottom vents fully open and top about 1/2, etc.

Thank you all in advance, I appreciate the help!

Welcome to the Pit from Baltimore, MD! I usually do the half chimney of unlit under lit coals. I have the SnS, but it works without the SnS as well. Indirect is definitely the way to go. 325-350. You will want a water/gravy pan underneath as well. Look here. You will find more than you ever thought possible about turkey.
    http://amazingribs.com/recipes/chick...ed_turkey.html
    Last edited by Thunder77; November 21, 2016, 01:15 PM.

Comment

• scottdware
      scottdware commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you! My wife and I love Baltimore, and go there a few times every year. Thanks for that link, just like every other part of this site, such a cache of knowledge!

Buy two fire bricks from Tractor Supply and use them to divide the coals off to one side.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Great advice, and cheap!

• scottdware
      scottdware commented
      Editing a comment
      Great idea, I think I'll pick a couple up.

• clkq4
      clkq4 commented
      Editing a comment
      I cooked like that for years on my Weber. I thought I was the only one!

Welcome! I see that your Grill is safe and secure with your dog on duty.

I used the coal baskets that came with my kettle pretty much as I do now with the SnS. Depending on how much space your bird takes will direct placement of baskets. Indirect, light up half a chimney dump on unlit. Good luck and have fun!

Comment

• scottdware
      scottdware commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, he's quite the Sous Chef

I have done them for years before I bought the SNS and it worked fine (SNS Better) I used the weber coal grates and a pan in the middle.
    Last edited by JohnF; November 22, 2016, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit scottdware! I agree with all. 1/2 chimney well-lit on top of 1/2 chimney of unlit. This should get you long enough for a good sized turkey (2.5 - 3hrs ish maybe?) if it's spatchcocked. One thing though, I wouldn't leave your bottom vent open fully. Maybe 3/4. YMMV, you'll need to find your sweet spot for your weather, wind of course, but that's a given. In case this is helpful, we have a thread here that shows the vent settings relative to the handle positions on the newer Weber kettles.

Comment

Welcome scottdware

Comment

• scottdware
          scottdware commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you!

For whole turkeys and chickens I prefer to use a rotisserie with the kettle. I use the charcoal rails that came with the Weber and put one on each side of the bird. I then open both vents all the way and let 'er rip.

Comment

Thank you for the welcome and all the tips! The vent guide is awesome, Huskee, thank you so much for that!

So would you say coals on both sides, and the bird in the middle, or would I be fine with just having the coals on one side only, like the typical indirect setup?

Comment

Originally posted by scottdware View Post
            Thank you for the welcome and all the tips! The vent guide is awesome, Huskee, thank you so much for that!

So would you say coals on both sides, and the bird in the middle, or would I be fine with just having the coals on one side only, like the typical indirect setup?
            Very welcome, glad you found it helpful. Technically either way, but if I were to pick I would say one side, then you can direct the lid vent over the turkey. Having more space between the heat and the meat will eliminate more radiant heat and cause the cooking to be done more by convection. If you have a couple bricks that you could put in there end to end to pile the charcoal on the other side of (like W.A. suggested) for a zone buffer, that would help a little in eliminating a hot spot on the part of the bird nearest the coals...but it's certainly not a necessity.

Comment

Great, I think I have a game plan, now Appreciate all the help! I'll let you all know how it turned out!

Comment

• Thunder77
                Thunder77 commented
                Editing a comment
                Definitely include pictures! It didn't happen if there are no pictures. That's the rule in the Pit!

I forgot to take pictures while it was on the grill :/ Turned out fantastic though. Nice and moist, crispy skin...I didn't think it would turn out this good! Now I know how I'll be doing a bird every Thanksgiving

Thank you all for the help!
              Attached Files

Comment

Looks great! Well, the half we can see.

Comment

scottdware, Welcome to "The Pit"! You are Now Enrolled in the BBQ Univ.! Attendance and Participation are Mandatory! Enjoy "The Pit"!
                  As HawkerXP says Your Turkey Looks Great!
                  Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

• scottdware
                    scottdware commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thank you so much!

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here