Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Half turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Half turkey

I was thinking of spatchcocking a 12lb. turkey then splitting the Brest & only doing half of the bird for thanksgiving, sense it's just me, & doing something else with the other half. I am using a small GMG portable pellet grill down here in the winter location. Any thoughts would be helpful.
    Dave

I guess my first inclination would be to smoke the whole turkey, if it will fit in your GMG.

Use half as planned, for your thanksgiving, freeze or fridge the other half for "doing something else".

I'd remove the appendages of the "doing something else" half, to make a smaller storage footprint, wrap it all together, and store until needed...

Then, you have pre-smoked goodness turkey, ready for duty, at your beck and call.

Comment

• Darchie03
      Darchie03 commented
      Editing a comment
      Mr. Bones, yes the whole bird will fit they say this little grill will take up to a 19lb. bird, I may do the whole bird I was just getting some ideas out of my head (of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most)
      Dave

I agree with Mr. Bones ... I'd smoke the whole turkey then save the non-Thanksgiving half for later. Personally, I prefer to carve the other half completely, portion it into appropriate serving sizes, then freeze it all in vacuum sealed bags. That way you don't have to thaw the entire other half when it's time for "doing something else".

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here