Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carry Over cooking for a SPATCHCOCK a turkey...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carry Over cooking for a SPATCHCOCK a turkey...

I normally pull a whole turkey when i'm 8 to 9 degrees under my ideal serving temp and allow carry over cooking to continue during the resting period (20 to 30 minutes). Since a spatchcocked turkey is flat, does that effect the length of time you rest the bird before serving? Do you pull the bird at serving temp or before and at what temp?

Thanks!

I pull at ~5-7 below. Serve immediately, don't rest! Meathead recommends serving immediately too. Well, as immediately as possible considering slicing and serving takes a while for most family dinners. We don't recommend an intentional rest though.

Comment

Agree with Huskee ... and don't forget that spatchcocking doesn't change the thickness of the meat at all; it merely opens up the body cavity. This means that, while a spatchcocked bird should cook faster due to greater exposure to heat, carryover shouldn't be affected much (if at all).

Comment

Thanks guys!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here