Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turkey brine and rub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkey brine and rub

I am planning to brine my turkey overnight with mad hunky poultry brine then use mad hunky salt free general purpose rub and smoke it in the PBC with a few chunks of flavored wood. First time smoking a turkey. Any suggestions??? Happy Thanksgiving.

Prefer dry brine myself & you'll need a bit more than overnight to do. Then, I'd use one of meatheads rubs. This next time for me will be Simon & Garfunkul rub.
    Also check out Science of wet brining & The Science of dry brining recipe section, plus more...
    Last edited by FireMan; November 7, 2016, 04:03 PM.

Comment

I think you'll like it. Me personally, I tend to favor wet brines with poultry and pork chops. I just think it comes out better, and even though it's more wasteful to me it seems easier than trying to dry brine a large intact bird.

One word of caution on the all purpose rub-- do you want a traditional tasting turkey, (or are your guests expecting it)? You may not have much in the way of traditional turkey flavor if you use an all purpose rub. My advice would be to pick up a chicken and do the exact same thing with it, then you'll have a much better idea how the turkey will turn out, flavorwise. It could be fantastic, it could be not. Either way a $6 chicken might be a great way to know what to expect.

Comment

+1 on what Huskee said
        me don't care for the Simon & Garfunkul stuff

Comment

Thanks for the info........

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here