Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Losing Chicken Skin. Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Losing Chicken Skin. Help!

My wife loves it when I grill chicken. I do chicken in a variety of different ways, but one thing remains the same: We like our skin on, crispy, and with just a little char (sugars in the sauces caramelized the perfect amount).

Sometimes I roast, sometimes I use 2 zone cooking and sometimes I cook directly depending on the dish. My chicken is absolutely beautiful ... until I go in for the final sear and the skin fuses to the grate. When I try to flip it or pick it up, the skin rips off and disintegrates leaving my chicken very sad. Sauces, glazes, and even marinades exacerbate this.

I have tried cleaning the grill profusely, but even if I use a fresh grate, the same thing happens. I have tried turning the chicken every few seconds, but this requires a lot of choreography, and it can only take a moment to stick to the grate. I have tried using a large spatula to gently pry the chicken from the grate. I have tried coating the grate in olive oil right before I go to sear, but the flames quickly burn the oil away. I can cook indirect until the skin stretches tight around the chicken, but this often gives me a somewhat leathery skin that isn't what I want. Certain marinades and sauces seem to compromise the strength and elasticity of the skin making things worse.

I'm working on a Jerk Chicken recipe that I hope to share once I can perfect the cooking technique. Unfortunately, it requires some saucing and marinade before and during the cooking process.

David Parrish created a general thread here: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...inned-exterior . David Parrish , that first picture on your sticky post has the skin pretty much perfect! Unfortunately, you didn't share how you did it.

Suggestions are appreciated.

Any time you have glazes or anything like that, it will stick to a normal grate. I would recommend searing under your broiler in the kitchen. I know its not the grill but this will eliminate any sticking and will crisp up the skin just right.
    Another option might be a small cast iron grate. Meathead discourages them but I disagree with him on this. Granted they do take more care than Stainless or aluminum grates but I think the trade off is worth it and its not that much more care that is involved in keeping it up. I have one on my Keg and I love it. Rarely does anything stick to it. And clean up is a breeze. Much easier than many would have you think! I have a small one for my KBQ to. Its seasoned very well and thus, non stick. I sear crispy skin wings on it all the time and it works great. Lodge makes a sports mans grill that is a perfect searing machine. This is the great that I use on my KBQ. (Its removable) The whole grill is about $100 but worth every penny. Its a blast to cook on and a great conversation starter. Plus the grate can be removed and used for serving or to use on other grills/smokers that you might have.

Comment

Spinaker Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not opposed to hybrid cooking at all. I find that finishing a lot of meats in the oven gives you a much more precise result. However, I have two concerns there: 1. it'll give crispy brown edges but won't produce the same char and 2. it takes a bit longer, which gives more potential to dry out. Perhaps cranking the broiler all the way up will remedy that. I'll play with it a bit and report back in a little while.

I believe Meathead 's only problem with Cast Iron is that average grill temperatures are too hot to maintain a seasoning. With a lot of extra work you could pull at the pan at the last minute, heat it up, do your thing, then re-season every time. It works, but like you said, it's not convenient. My biggest problem there, again, is that you don't actually get any flame-kissed searing on your meat. This method also has issues in that the heat can't travel up into the nooks and crannies of the meat unless you put a thick layer of oil in the pan.

I've been toying with the idea of some type of suspended skewer system. If I can get the meat close to the flame without actually letting it touch the grate, that would be ideal.

Comment

• CandySueQ
        CandySueQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Have you tried spraying oil right on the skin before you start the sear? Maybe the cooking grate too.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        No use a cast iron grate right over the fire. You get a perfect wood flame right under your chicken. And the reseasoning is easy scrape the grate and spray with oil as it cools it seasons back up.

coreyo when you say grill chicken are you talkin on a Weber grill?

Comment

• coreyo
        coreyo commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, I usually do this on a standard weber kettle grill. I've had the thought that a santa fe style grill might make this process easier. Perhaps I could back off the direct heat a bit.
        Last edited by coreyo; November 8, 2016, 12:48 PM.

Have you tried removing the skin when the chicken is done and browning it separately? It will shrivel and shrink, but man oh man is it crispy. You can do it under the broiler or on the grill. Without the weight of the chicken to press it against the grate, it will stick less. And you can flip the skin so that it cooks from both sides.

Comment

• coreyo
        coreyo commented
        Editing a comment
        I used to use chicken skin and bacon as chicharrones when I made mofongo. I thought they worked better than the real thing. Unfortunately, it's not quite what I'm looking for here.

For a sticky grating I have cut an onion in half and moved it over hot grating to help prevent sticking. Also I use long tongs that tend to clamp down on the skin or I am just lucky and not getting any sticking. I do usually go skin side up until chicken is cooked on indirect then go direct. Chicken thighs I cook over the 160, more like 180-190 at times melts some of tendons leaving more tender chicken in my book.

Comment

• coreyo
        coreyo commented
        Editing a comment
        Interesting... Do you leave the onion under the chicken as you are searing it, or is the onion supposed to release something onto the grate that prevents sticking?

• BriggsBBQ
        BriggsBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        The onion does not stay on the grating. I was told it releases something that has anti stick qualities.

coreyo awesome to know! I got something for you to consider and try out sometime soon.

Grab you some skin on chicken parts. I usually roll with with thighs and legs. Enough to make a single layer on the grill size you have.

Along with the chicken parts grab a large bottle or a couple bottles of Italian dressing. Grab large zip locks gal or two gallon if you don't already have.

Bring home, toss into ziplock, drown in dressing and toss in fridge at least over night.

Next day, start with a clean Weber.

Start enough coals that will cover the bottom grate completely when spread out.

Once coals have that super red glow, spread them out evenly, place your cooking grate on and go grab chicken from fridge.

Immediately place all chicken onto cooking grate with skin side up in an even layer.

Place Weber lid on and close all dampers.

Toss bag chicken was in, wash hands and drink a beer.

Drink another beer.

Have a third beer.

The goal is to go about 35 minutes with the kettle in this manner.

After about 35 minutes start opening up the dampers and getting air to the coals.

Keep balancing the coals with a flip or two of the chicken until the internal safety temp is reached for the chicken.

Remove from grill and enjoy!

THIS method, if done correctly will make your friends and family swear your fried your grilled chicken!

In fact, as an FYI the chicken can be like that perfectly grilled brat that is full of juice so be careful!

Comment

My experience was that finishing chicken skin over the coals results in an instant grease fire. I tried and tried to crisp the skin nicely on the grill and just never got good results. I think one of the problems is my Weber leaks all over the place and can't get high enough temperatures like everyone else gets. I have to finish the chicken in the oven, it's the only way. Kind of cheating, but it's either that or rubbery skin, take your pick.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here