Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FYI: Chicken doneness article from Thermoworks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FYI: Chicken doneness article from Thermoworks

Proper doneness temps for chicken ensure juicy results—but what if the meat or juices are pink or it looks bloody? Learn to tell if it's safe.

Thought I would share this with those who don't get the emails from Thermoworks.

Nice article, Ribber . Thanks for the link.

Meathead says the same thing and more, both in his book and here on the AR site.

Kathryn

Comment

• Ribber
      Ribber commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, Kathryn. I have not read that from Meathead yet but not surprised he covered it. Just when I think I've read everthing...:-)

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      It's always good to hear something from a couple different sources, Ribber. That's why I enjoyed the link you gave us.

fzxdoc Thank you. I just read MH's article. Thank you for the link. Now if I could only get my brother-in-law to believe the chicken is safe at 165 even if it has a little pink...never gonna happen! But then he doesn't like garlic...or onions. Say what! Oh well. I have fun with him about his bizzaerness. (word processor just informed me bizzareness is not a word) It is now! Sorry, getting off subject.

Comment

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      Then yo definitely don't want to serve him the absolutely best chicken breasts he's ever eaten cooked sous vide at 145ºF for one hour.

You've put the problem in a nutshell, Ribber . When we entertain I often like to serve smoked chicken and sausages from my PBC. Sometimes a guest will push a piece aside, acting as though it's not done when it shows even a tiny bit of pink. I want to say "Go ahead and eat it! It's safe!" but am too hesitant to bring it up in front of other guests for fear of embarrassing the person.

So now, if it's not just for family, I take the chicken to 165 instead of 160+crossover cooking in hopes that no pink will show.

I guess, in this scenario, the chicken is not the only chicken.

Kathryn

Comment

• Ribber
      Ribber commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep. My wife says she doesn't want pink in her chicken.

• Harry
      Harry commented
      Editing a comment
      Saw the Thermoworks article earlier. Glad we are discussing. For the reasons K. stated, I, too, take chicken to 165. Boiling ribs like a friend of ours asked us if we did? Nope, but I did do chicken for her in case she passed on the ribs. She did but loved the 165 chicken..

• andy.wpg
      andy.wpg commented
      Editing a comment
      My wife is the same...........won't touch it if there's even a hint of pink,

I have cited that information to family many times. They actually trust me now. I tell them what the FDA guidelines for chicken temps are, and I stick a thermometer in the meat to show that it hit that temp, and eat some of it.
    For me, explaining to people about the myoglobin, and the permeable bones of super young chickens really helped people to understand.

Comment

In the same vein, the chicken packaging at Costco is interesting. Their whole chickens say on the package to cook to 185. If you buy the pieces, the breasts, wings, thighs all say 165 on the package. Legs say 185, which seems to be where that number comes from.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here