Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Cook

Click image for larger version

Name:	First Cook.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	511.7 KB
ID:	213105

After my first smoke on my new WSCGC, I got the temperature to drop back down and hold at 350° (all temps are as shown on the built-in cooker thermometer) by closing the bottom vent to the ‘dot’ left of Smoke and the top vent half open.
    So I decided to cook some chicken thighs.
    Used the Direct Method as I had only lit about 20 coals and put just a handful of smoke wood on.
    The day before I had dry brined some chicken thighs with a seasoning called West Coast Poultry Rub that someone had given me. I saw (somewhere) that you peel the skin back from the thighs like a sock then dry brine the meat, pull the skin back over the chicken to its original position and dry brine it too. Was supposed to help flavor the meat and make the skin crisper.
    I put the chicken on the grill skin-side up.
    At 5 minutes, the temp had dropped to 275°.
    I turned the chicken over and opened the top vent, left the bottom vent alone.
    At 10 minutes, temp was still 275° but a quick peek showed that the minimal fire I had started for my first smoke was dwindling. I opened the bottom vent.
    At 15 minutes, temp had briefly climbed up to 285°. Turned thighs over, skin was browning nicely, internal temp was about 130°.
    On the 20-minute mark, the temp had dropped to 250°, still plenty of smoke being produced. Moved two thighs that were almost at 160° off the fire and repositioned the other two (still under temp) over the fire.
    At 25 minutes, took thighs off.
    They were done perfectly, very juicy, and the skin was quite crisp (I will now use the ‘sock method’ for all of my poultry).
    Can’t wait until tomorrow…may do ribs or fresh shrimp.

Congrats on a successful cook Porterdriver .

Comment

• Porterdriver
      Porterdriver commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you good sir.

Yes sir that is some good looking Chicken!! Its bed time and you just made my stomach rumble!

Comment

Isn't that WSCGC fun to cook on?!! The chicken looks delicious.

Kathryn

Comment

• Porterdriver
        Porterdriver commented
        Editing a comment
        Gee! it's fun to be successful! Yes the WSCGC is very enjoyable to cook on, even for a greenhorn.

Love some chicken thighs!

Comment

Porterdriver, 👍👍👍👍👍. For your Chicken Thighs! 😇I am going to come to Your House and Steal Your Weber Summit! Consider this Fair Warning!😇
        Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

• Porterdriver
          Porterdriver commented
          Editing a comment
          Dang, now I got to go get a cable lock to keep my cooker from developing legs and walking off to Fargo.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here