Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disney Turkey legs - rubber skin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disney Turkey legs - rubber skin

I've done Disney Turkey legs a la Meathead three or four times - LOVE THEM! The only problem is that the skin is rubbery, not nice to eat.
    I've done them at 325 like the video suggests over charcoal, and at 275 in the electric. In both cases, the skin LOOKS gorgeous, and they taste incredible.
    I'm not a huge skin fan, but a little is nice to have. Any suggestions?

That is an issue. You can throw them on a hot grill, lid up, and roll them around to crisp the skin, or you can remove the skin before brining.

Comment

I had the same thing when I did the Disney legs recipe. The skin was like plastic packaging, so I had to remove it all. Next time I think I'll remove it before smoking and see if it affects the meat at all. Glad it wasnt just me!

Comment

I had the same problems when I first did mine. I found that you have to rip your smoker/cooker at about 400 F to get that skin you want. Thats what I had to do. I just turned my KBQ all the way up. The skin came out amazing after that.

Comment

I took mine up to 375 toward the end, and that fixed the issue for me.

Comment

Just wrapped up my first attempt at these and it's official.... mine turned out to be an epic FLOP. My wife refused to try them.

What went wrong? Well, for starters, I skipped the Prague Powder No. 1. The rest, I followed directions per Amazingribs.com recipe.

I'm not used to a failure of this magnitude, but that's how we learn.

So, if you are attempting this at home, don't skip on the Prague Powder No. 1.

Next time, I'm going to smoke them low and slow at 225 for an hour, them I will crank up the smoker to 325 as suggested and see how they turn out. Of course, with Prague Powder in the brine marinade.

I did try them, and they tasted good. My punishment for this epic failure includes 6 consecutive lunches for my work week, so that will help me remember next time.

Im including a photo to share the visual. They look raw, however, they are cooked well till internal temp reached 160F.

Cheers,
            Ricardo

Attached Files
            Last edited by Ricardo; September 4, 2017, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here