Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I could sell my chicken skin to Goodyear. How do I avoid rubber skin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I could sell my chicken skin to Goodyear. How do I avoid rubber skin?

I have a COS and I am trying to smoke wings and whole chicken. I am getting skin that the Michelin Man would not eat.

After some research on this site, it looks like wet skin is the culprit. I am dry brining my chicken now, are there any other things I should keep in mind? Is the low and slow technique bad for chicken? I read that alot of people have there temps in the 300's

Thanks!

I run my chicken wings at 375 and they come out great.

Comment

most people here will agree that when you cook chicken you do it in the mid-300's

Comment

Brine with salt as you normally would, then sprinkle with baking powder. Then brine with that and leave it in the fridge, uncovered, overnight. That will help your problem considerably.

Comment

+1 on what the others are saying regarding temperature. I cook poultry on a PBC and regard 325 degrees as the absolute minimum acceptable temp. 350-375 is the "sweet spot" temp for all birds. FYI, you can improve your odds of good skin by dry brining uncovered overnight in the fridge before cooking.

Comment

I wet brine/marinate whole chickens for my Peruvian-style rotisserie chicken. For that I am fine with bite-through skin. Last time I made them, I dried them good with paper towels and then fan-dried them on the kitchen counter for about 2 hours before trussing and spitting them. I thought the results were the best yet - easy bite through with a few almost crisp sections of skin.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here