Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rotisserie Tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rotisserie Tips?

I'm going to use a rotisserie for the first time in my life today. Kind of excited to try something new. The manufacturer has a video that suggests setting the rear burner to high for 15-20 minutes until the skin looks crispy then turning down the temperature to around 350 to finish it.

This sounds backwards to me. Seems like it should be the other way around. What do you guys do?

Also, basting. My understanding is that the bird should be basted fairly often when using a rotisserie. I'm going to use Meathead's Simon and Garfunkel rub on the bird. Will basting it with butter and lemon juice remove a lot of the rub?

Use a digital thermometer raised up on bricks to where the bird will spin and calibrate you grill. At 325 to 350F the bird will cook and brown just right without changing temps. I don't baste birds mostly because it hampers crisping skin. Use foil to protect the legs and wing from burning.

Comment

Chris - when I rotisserie I usually cook at 350ish until the last 15 minutes of a cook or so, then I crank my kamado up to about 400 for the crisping, if necessary. I've never had a problem. This method is for chicken. There are all kinds of techniques for chicken, beef, pork, etc.

As for basting, I've found that a rotisserie is actually a self basting method of cooking. Only very occasionally do I baste a cook and when I baste a chicken I do it with Ghee, i.e. clarified butter.

Here's to great cooks and even better memories with family and friends!

Comment

This is great information. Thank you. I'll do that.

As for basting, I'll try it without. As a kid I remember my dad sitting outside on a hot sunny day with (several) beer and basting chicken with butter, oil, and lemon juice. It's my earliest memory of barbecuing and I remember the heavenly flavour but I don't remember details like crispy skin, etc. I thought I would try and replicate that because its such a good memory. Since this is my first time using a rotisserie it might be best to keep it simple.

Comment

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          Butter contains water, so it actually inhibits the forming of crisp skin - at least until all the water has evaporated. I don't baste chicken whether it's on the rotisserie or not.

Congrats on the rotisserie. I LOVE rotisserie. It's a great way to do whole birds--even smaller turkeys. Do look into purchasing a grill basket (like this, tho you can likely find it cheaper elsewhere: http://www.wholesalepatiostore.com/F...UB-RoCkRTw_wcB). With the basket, things like pork tenderloin and chicken thighs come out magnifico.

As to temp, alas, I cannot say precisely. On my Weber Genesis gasser, the built-in hood thermometer says 375°F to 400°F for my best results, but I've never bothered to check with a good thermometer. The grill has three burners running lengthwise, so I turn off the middle one and turn the other two fairly low. In my experience, much higher and you get flare-ups. I typically don't baste unless I'm just adding a sauce at the end. Your Thanksgiving bird will never be juicier!

Best wishes and ENJOY!!!

Comment

• Mitrakas
          Mitrakas commented
          Editing a comment
          That basket looks great. Do you know if rotissiere rods are standard size? I purchased a rotissiere for my 26" weber kettle (this rotissiere not available from Weber, had to procure aftermarket) and would like to incorporate a basket.

• Willy
          Willy commented
          Editing a comment
          Mitrakas. I am not sure, but I think they are all the same size, about 3/8" square. The rods are secured by thumb screws that come with the basket (or other attachment), so there is a fair amount of wiggle room to accommodate something a bit different in size. ENJOY!

Thanks again everyone for sharing your insights. Chicken is on the grill now and it's smelling pretty damn good outside! Everything seems to be going as planned!

Other than chicken wings I rarely chicken. I cooked a couple yesterday on my Pitmaker with a butter herb mixture that you slather all over the meat. Did a wet brine first. It was messy, frustrating, and although everyone loved it it was not up to my standards. Told the wife today that I wanted a do-over. So I used a dry brine today and Simon & Garfunkel rub. It was a lot easier and not nearly as messy so I'm hoping this is much more successful than last night.

Comment

Well the rotisserie chicken turned out very good. It was cooked well and was very moist. I think I could have turned up the back burner a little higher. They weren't as brown as I was hoping for. Skin was hard but not crispy.

It's a nice way to cook but it didn't blow me away. The final product didn't seem much different than a chicken cooked in an oven. The chicken wings I cook on my Kamado are much better because of how the juices vaporize on the deflector plates.

Anyways I'll definitely do it again but I need to experiment a bit more. Next time I'll try chickens on the Kamado.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here