Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Goose Breast Pastrami

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goose Breast Pastrami

I was going to wait until it was done, but I had to tease y'all with some pictures. A hunting friend of mine gave me some Canada goose breast. After trimming and taking off the silverskin, I had about 2.5 pounds of meat. 5 nice sized breast halves.

All the recipes I saw on other sites were for dry cured meat. I wasn't brave enough to try that, since I didn't think I could accurately measure 1/10 of an ounce of Prague Powder. So I wound up using Meathead's recipe for wet curing corned beef.
    I let that go for 6 days. Then tonight, on went the rub!
    I used the "Close to Katz's" recipe. They are now cooling in the fridge until I smoke them tomorrow after work.
    I can't wait!

Update:
    So last night I finally got to finish this up. I had to wait out a rather long storm before I got to smoking. Anyway, fired up the Weber SNS combo, and got it up to 200. I kept it low because the meat was not that thick, and I wanted a longer time on the smoke.
    On the smoke at 8:20 pm. 2 ounces of cherry wood. 74 degrees ambient temp. Smoked 'em for about 2.5 hours at 180-200 to IT of 150. I wanted to go to bed, so I put them in the steamer to get to 160 IT.

Result? Pretty darn tasty! The texture is quite different from beef pastrami, obviously. But sliced razor thin, on rye with a schmear of mustard, yum! I will definitely be doing this again, if I can get my friend to give me more goose and duck.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Thunder77; June 29, 2016, 11:28 AM.

Can't wait to hear how this turns out... My father in law is wanting me to smoke some Goose Breast but I have never done it before... I've been looking and haven't found a whole lot of info... Have you ever just smoked the breast whole and served them that way?

Comment

Nate, I have done it that way. Are these wild or domestic geese? Mine were wild Canada goose. Use a little salt for an overnight dry brine, and take them to 160 IT. No higher than that! They are very lean, and can get overdone and tough quickly! Cherry wood seems to work best for my taste.

Comment

• Nate
        Nate commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you... I am not for sure on the type... I will have to find out. May hit you up when the time comes to get some more info.... Thanks for the response!

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        Farmed geese, on the other hand... quite rich.

• Thunder77
        Thunder77 commented
        Editing a comment
        Potkettleblack, you are correct sir. That's why I asked whether these were wild or domestic geese. That breast doesn't get the same workout on farmed geese.

Yum! I bet it's great.

Comment

• Thunder77
        Thunder77 commented
        Editing a comment
        I will let you know tomorrow. 😀

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here