Instagram AmazingRibs Facebook AmazingRibs X - Meathead Pinterest AmazingRibs Youtube AmazingRibs
BBQ Stars

Welcome!


This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | 30 Day Trial | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why not part a turkey ?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Why not part a turkey ?

    I'm spatchcocking a turkey. I'm wondering why not take it a step further and part the turkey into leg quarters and breast/wing ? Especially since presentation is really no longer a concern.

    Seems to be the sure way to get both white and dark meat to the right doneness. Are there drawbacks to this ?

    #2
    Nope, no drawbacks. Pretty sure Meathead recommends that if you will sous vide. I cut out the clavicles, that's it. Part the rest on the cutting board.

    Comment


      #3
      I would be a fan of this. I think it is a great idea.

      Here is what I am gonna do.
      Cut the bird into several pieces. Lay them flat in a large baking pan. ( I am actually using a cast iron fish fry pan) I am going to place the turkey in the pan, and then add my oatmeal, raisin dressing all-around the bird in the pan. Then the dressing will soak up the turkey fat and be similar to if I had cooked it whole. And, I can have the bird cook much more evenly.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Lynn Dollar View Post
        I'm spatchcocking a turkey. I'm wondering why not take it a step further and part the turkey into leg quarters and breast/wing ? Especially since presentation is really no longer a concern.

        Seems to be the sure way to get both white and dark meat to the right doneness. Are there drawbacks to this ?
        No drawbacks. I do this sometimes with chicken (same). Better temp control and improved browning (bark).

        Comment


          #5
          I prefer halving my turkeys.
          Then hang in my Pit Barrels. Everything comes out done and juicy.

          Comment


            #6
            Iโ€™ve been doing this somewhat for a few years now. Spatchcock then remove the legs since they need to get to a different temp anyway. Depending on how many birds Iโ€™m doing, Iโ€™ll cook the legs/thighs separate from the breasts. Itโ€™s one of the reasons I keep the 18โ€ WSM around, for turkey day.

            Comment


              #7
              If presentation is not a concern, then it's the smart way to go. Each part can be cooked to the right temps, and you end up with an over all better bird.

              Comment


              • Richard Chrz
                Richard Chrz commented
                Editing a comment
                Honestly some photo presentations I have seen it is even a better presentation, or so I think.

              #8
              Thatโ€™s exactly what Iโ€™m doing this year, I see only positives.

              Comment


                #9
                Iโ€™m having Bob Evanโ€™s.
                Barf!!

                Comment


                • klflowers
                  klflowers commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Almost evertime i pass a Bob Evans i stop for sausage gravy.

                • Alan Brice
                  Alan Brice commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I would get the biscuits n gravy every time. I am talking 20 yrs ago. Then they changed the formula for the biscuits. Not long after that they changed the formula for the gravy.
                  I just got tired of the prices skyrocketing n the quality of the service and the food going down hill.

                • SheilaAnn
                  SheilaAnn commented
                  Editing a comment
                  B&G is the way and the light.

                #10
                Spatchcocking has been my go to for years. Iโ€™ve pieced a few times. Def planning to piece this year, mostly so everything is cooked perfect. If parts are ready before othersโ€ฆpullโ€˜em!

                Also makes it so easy to season the entire piece!

                Comment


                  #11
                  Matt Pittman did a video this week on spatchcocking turkey. He said could remove leg/thigh if you want to.


                  Comment


                    #12
                    I am a white meat turkey person, unless at the fair and getting a turkey leg...so if it was up to me I would just cook an appropriate number of turkey breasts, +1 breast to make sure there is plenty of leftovers...

                    Comment


                    • WI Bubba
                      WI Bubba commented
                      Editing a comment
                      With all due respect....Ewww.... Dark meat is where it's at. ๐Ÿ˜‚

                    • BKYDBBQ
                      BKYDBBQ commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I just can't get into dark meat turkey...chicken, I love a good leg or thigh...

                    #13
                    Did that last year. Took of the leg/thighs and cooked sous vide confit style. The breast was flattten ala spatchcock style and roasted at high heat.

                    Comment


                      #14
                      It is just fine other than the fact it will never be in a Norman Rockwell picture.

                      Comment


                      • Texas Larry
                        Texas Larry commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yeah, my MIL is disappointed w/o a whole bird on the table. Expectations rule. ๐Ÿ™„

                      #15
                      I might give it a go. Will spatchcocking be faster than a whole bird or roughly the same?

                      Comment


                      • Ace
                        Ace commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Will be faster because more meat lays on the grate (closer to the heat source). Improved temp control and more even browning. It will be like a baked chicken vs a fried one. :-)

                      • Lynn Dollar
                        Lynn Dollar commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I've only spatchcocked a turkey once before, and it did cook faster. But it was on an offset smoker that I'd never cooked turkey on, soooo, there's variables.

                        But its more even cooking.

                      • fkrall
                        fkrall commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks. The Jay Jordan link above to Matt Pittman's site is a great tutorial for all aspects of a spatchcock cook. FYI, for a 12# bird, Matt cooks at 275ยบ to 160ยบ at about 3 hours, YMMV.

                    Announcement

                    Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    0
                    Guest
                    Guest
                    500
                    ["membership","help","nojs","maintenance","shop","reset-password","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2025-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2026-issues","\/forum\/bbq-stars","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tuffy-stone","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/meathead","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/harry-soo","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/matt-pittman","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-rollins","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/dean-fearing","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tim-grandinetti","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-phillips-brett-gallaway","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/david-bouska","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/ariane-daguin","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/jack-arnold","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads
                    7