Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My only chance -- whole chicken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My only chance -- whole chicken

I convinced my wife to pick up a 4 pound whole chicken at the grocery store. She's not crazy about "meat on a bone" but she's going to let me cook this for her. It's my ONE CHANCE. If she doesn't like it, no more whole birds for me!

So, I plan on 350-375 indirect on my Kamado Joe. Maybe throw on one chunk of peach wood. Salt and pepper it. Internal temp of 160 on the chicken breast, and pull it off the grill.

What else do you think I should do to ensure this sucker is good? It's my only chance! Should I use an olive oil or vegetable oil or butter to help get good crispy skin?

(Note: I've had the discussions with her of "where do you think a boneless chicken breast comes from"?). She loves chicken, but I guess a mental hurdle of the bone!

De bone it. : ). It's your wife. Make her happy

Comment

If you carve it like a turkey, she doesn't have to worry about the bones. I agree with your above method - cook it indirect at about 350* and then brown the skin over the direct heat. Another thought would be to spatchcock it. It will cook a bit quicker than whole. Then just debone a breast for her. I'd also use a Simon and Garfunkel rub in place of salt and pepper. Do dry brine first though.

Comment

Originally posted by RonB View Post
        If you carve it like a turkey, she doesn't have to worry about the bones. I agree with your above method - cook it indirect at about 350* and then brown the skin over the direct heat. Another thought would be to spatchcock it. It will cook a bit quicker than whole. Then just debone a breast for her. I'd also use a http://amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and_brines/simon_and_garfunkel_rub.html"]Simon and Garfunkel rub[/URL] in place of salt and pepper. Do dry brine first though.

+1

Spatchcock, dry brine, and refrigerate uncovered for 24 hours to dry the skin to help it crisp. Just before cooking rub a little oil so Simon and garfunkle rub sticks well. Then indirect 325-350. I did this yesterday and it was delicious!
        Attached Files
        Last edited by RichBrew; May 30, 2016, 10:27 PM.

Comment

Go with a pork loin (the other white meat) and don't worry about it.

Comment

One of my "go to" chicken cooks is to just salt and pepper the outside, and inject the inside with strong chicken broth from bouillon. The bouillon, is your salt source, so you won't really need much else, believe me. It is one of our "house" recipes and has never failed to please. Having said that, the procedure you described will be just fine. 350ish for about an hour and 15,to hour and ½, will do well. You may baste the skin, but in my kamado, it isn't really necessary, and probably won't be in your rig either. Also, direct and indirect both work well in my rig, so it should hold true for yours too. As one of my mentors in my chef training would say: " just put the 'effen bird into the 'effen cooker and cook the 'effen thing." "Holy sh*t, do I have to show you everything?!" In other words, whatever you decide to do with the bird will taste good in your rig. The culinary gods will not smite thee, and your spouse will gain a new understanding concerning real food. Do YOUR thing. Adjust things to suit the people YOU cook for. These are your house flavors that make you unique!

Comment

Two words: lemon juice.

Comment

I would go with RichBrew and Spatchcock it! Dry Brine for Sure and Aruba of your Choice Spritzed with Lemon Juice per @boftx!
                Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

After applying your salt (whatever source it may be, broth injection or sprinkling solid salt) definetly let it sit uncovered for 24 hours to help dry out skin. This makes a big difference in my experience. I also find that pork and beef can handle a lot of smoke, but it is very easy to over smoke chicken, so I err on the side of less wood when doing birds. I did some legs the other night and did a test with oil vs no oil on the outside of the skin and didn't find a material difference in terms of crispness. Both versions were crispy, which I attribute to leaving uncovered in the fridge after salting. My go to home made poultry rub is approximately equal parts powdered sage, thyme, ground rosemary and nutmeg, make sure you get it under the skin in addition to on top.
                  Last edited by bbqoaf; May 31, 2016, 07:24 AM.

Comment

Well, the chicken turned out very good! And I have permission to do another! The skin was crispy, but it wasn't super crispy. I may spatchcock or cut out individual pieces. That will be a learning curve! Look forward to the challenge!

Now, I get to buy another bird!

Comment

I didn't get the deep mahogany color on the skin. Any help there?

Comment

• Thunder77
                        Thunder77 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Agree with Breadhead on 350 degrees. Also, you might try a small chunk of pecan on your cook. That always gives me a nice color on the skin.

scottranda ...

Hmmm... My guess is you didn't coat the skin with an oil or you didn't cook it hot enough. Not sure though.

I like to cook a spatchcock chick at a minimum of 350°, maybe a little more. I use olive oil and add the rub.

I put in a probe in each breast so if one side is cooking faster than the other I can rotate it.👌
                      Attached Files

Comment

• scottranda
                        scottranda commented
                        Editing a comment
                        @breadhead

I cooked it hot enough, but didn't use olive oil. I thought about it, but was concerned of the outcome and didn't want to mess up the first one. Next one I do, I'll do olive oil. And perhaps spatchcock. Thx!

Strat50 ...

I like your style, how you teach.👍 My response to your post #6.

I remember asking you about how to bake brioche bread when I was trying to make the ultimate brioche hamburger bun for Meathead's Steakhouse Steakburger. You said look it up on the net and then adjust it to your liking.👍 I adjusted it many, many times until I came up with the right texture and taste so IT didn't overwhelm the hamburger patty.

Winging it is a good thing.😎

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here