Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chicken Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chicken Time

I have 2 5lb chickens that I am going to cook Sun. any Ideas of how long they will take? They will be in vertical racks (no beer can) & I can hold 325dg. with no problems. Just looking for a rough idea on time so I know how early to start.
    Thanks, Dave

I'd plan on at least a couple of hours ... but it's all about internal temp: white meat approx. 155F and dark meat approx. 165F for best results.

Comment

• Darchie03
      Darchie03 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks MBMorgan, I just wanted a rough idea I always use the digital thermometer DOT & thermopop

Darchie03, I would bump it to 350 if you can for yardbirds. Unwrap chicken, pat dry and dry brine overnight in the fridge unwrapped. This will keep moisture in the meat, and dry the skin out so it gets extra crispy! I also highly recommend Simon and Garfunkel rub.

Comment

I agree with MBMorgan on the temps... I will say that normally whole chicken around that cooker temp takes me between 2.5 - 3.5 hours...

Comment

Am I missing something? I thought the breast should reach IT of 165 and the dark meat 175 correct me if I'm wrong

Comment

• CeramicChef
          CeramicChef commented
          Editing a comment
          Meat generally will continue to cook after its pulled. MBMorgan is spot on with his temps. Chicken dries out in a big hurry. Using the temps quoted above by MBMorgan will get you a nice juicy bird on the carving board. Rest your chicken for 10 minutes or so before carving. Enjoy!

Originally posted by DWCowles View Post
        Am I missing something? I thought the breast should reach IT of 165 and the dark meat 175 correct me if I'm wrong
        Not missing anything at all ... the numbers I mentioned are minimums for safety and quality/texture. 10 degrees higher won't hurt at all.

Comment

Meathead recommends taking the chicken off at 160 IT and it will continue to cook to 165 IT which is the USDA safe temp.

Comment

Darchie03 I smoke 5 to 6 lb roasters, split , in my PBC at 325-360 degF pit temperature. The cooking time is usually 1hour minimum, 1.5 hours maximum.

Kathryn

Comment

Thank you all, it's so nice to have some place to get help & information when you need it!!

Comment

In my rig, at 325, is about 2 hours. I usually cook chicken(s) at 350, however. At 350, it's rarely more than an hour and a half. At 350-375, I get the most killer crispy skin. In fact, chicken is what's for dinner tonight. I'll inject with some strong chicken stock and a bit of herbage. Salt and pepper on the outside, and I'll be good to go.

Comment

• Darchie03
                  Darchie03 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you Strat50, I think I am now convinced to up the temp. to 350 by all the comments.
                  Dave

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here