Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disney Turkey legs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disney Turkey legs

Hello, I wanted to get so help on the Disney turkey leg recipes. I understand that the cures have to be followed to a T and that is why I'm here. On the recipe there is no set amount of chicken legs to use to the recipe, all it says is that they can be substatuted. I have a package of chicken legs I wanted to use to try this recipe out. I have 10 legs and the total weight is 3.2 lbs. Now will I have to multiply the recipe by 3 or 4?

It appears the recipe is referring to two 1 1/2 lb legs, so if you have three pounds, I'd think you should be ok with doubling the recipe. If you find that doubling it doesn't provide enough brine to totally submerge/engulf the legs, you could always make another single batch and add it.

Comment

• Meathead
      Meathead commented
      Editing a comment
      I have just edited the recipe to say 1 pound legs. I have added some language abt scaling.

KARB2014 I would multiply by 2, if it were me. I made this recipe back in November. They turned out great. you will love this one. Cook them hot, so you get the crispy skin.

Comment

I'm making this for the first time, but only 1 cup of water? That barely covers the bottom of the bag for 1 turkey leg. Is there a typo, or does this recipe really call for that little liquid?

Comment

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        I’ve made Disney style turkey legs many times, but with a different recipe. I used milk in my recipe. Let me see if I can find it, just so you have a few to compare. Hopefully others chime in to help here.

• Meathead
        Meathead commented
        Editing a comment
        Typo! Are you insinuating I am fallible? Seriusly, that is why we use a bag. So you don't have to make a LOT of cure. I have edited the recipe to say that you have to squish and move the legs around to keep them wet.

Food Network posted a Good Eats episode on YouTube with Alton doing smoked turkey legs (among other turkey part recipes. Maybe that would work for you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXEpKjt573I

Comment

Thanks. I'll watch this today. Actually, the turkey leg with Meathead's recipe came out pretty well. It had plenty of flavor and was juicy and tender, cooked to 160º.

Still, only 1 cup of liquid in the brine?
        Attached Files

Comment

Meathead when you get a few, can you shed some light on this? I would follow the recipe myself, flipping and moving the meat in the cure often, also removing as much air as possible from the bag should help.

Comment

The thing that matters is the curing salt. (Prague powder) I have made the recipe. I lay the bag down flat, and flip it once or twice during the cure. And yes, I only use one cup of water.

Comment

So I watched Alton. His legs are simply smoked, not cured, a fine idea, but the Disney legs are cured as in my recipe. I'm doing some tonite and I had planned to try using the Crutch so I was glad to see him use it, but I plan to do it before the smoke (sous vide would be nice too) because I want crispy skin! As for scaling up, you can simply multiply the quantities. I am obliged to point out that I met Alton's producer a few years back and she said he reads our site before doing any barbecue and grilling, and that I believe I was the first person to use the word Turketta when I first published the recipe around 2014.

BTW, my recipe is here https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...ey-legs-recipe

Comment

Did you end up using the Crutch before smoking? How did it turn out?

I will be cooking these tomorrow, probably on the kettle w/ SnS!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here