Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked turkey breast: internal temp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked turkey breast: internal temp?

Hello everyone,

I’m planning a cook & trying to figure out what internal temps I should take my boneless smoked turkey breasts to. The range I’m reading is crazy wide. As we know they say 165 is food safe. I’ve read some pull as low as 145, many pull around 155, while others take them all the way upto 170.

Here are some potential factors that may influence the temp at which I pull them, but I’m not sure.
    *They will be brined & injected
    *They’ll have an extended rest wrapped in foil w/ butter and honey
    * They will be smoked the day before and reheated before being served

My goal is moist flavorful turkey that has a pleasing roast turkey texture, not
    mushy or tough and grainy. Looking to cook to a temp that makes everyone happy (if that’s possible).

What do you recommend?
    Thanks in advance!
    JD

I follow Aaron Franklin's Smoked Turkey Breast recipe exactly, and it turns out great every single time.
    Here's the link: https://houseandhome.com/recipe/bbq-...breast-recipe/

In a nutshell, he sets up the smoker at 265°ambient. He takes the turkey off after 2.5 to 3 hours and foils it with butter. Then he takes it to 160° before removing it and letting it rest until it hits 140°(I don't go quite that low), slices and serves it. The turkey breast is amazing.

Amazing as well is his Espresso BBQ Sauce that he serves along with the turkey breast, as suggested in his cookbook.

Kathryn

Comment

• Bob's BBQ
      Bob's BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Kathryn, Step 2 of the recipe says 4 cups of rub per turkey breast? Assuming that's a misprint? Also - Do you do this on the Pit Barrel? -Thanks!!

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Bob's BBQ , the ingredients for the recipe says a generous 1/4 cup: "Generous 1/4 cup Pork Ribs and Turkey Rub (2 parts black pepper to 1 part salt)".

Good catch.

I checked the recipe in Franklin's cookbook and Step 2 says "1/4 cup" , matching the amount in the ingredient list for the recipe. That "4 cups" in Step 2 is misprint on the website.

HTH,
      Kathryn

• Bob's BBQ
      Bob's BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Kathryn!

I did like 8 turkeys on Thanksgiving this year, I aimed for 155 on all of them for internal breast temp. They came out fully cooked, moist, juicy and flavorful. A couple ended up at 157-158 by the time I got them pulled, as I had several going at once. But I heard no complaints, everyone said they were wonderful.

Just my experience.

<edit> What method and temp are you heating to the second day? I might pull them at 150 in your case, honestly. Even a little lower might be fine. If these are boneless breasts only, I'd go a little lower if you're reheating the next day. I wouldn't go past 150. Long rest, then cool and reheat? Yeah, if you're not careful, that's a recipe for dry turkey. No way I'd take those to 160 for the initial smoke, even 155 might be pushing it in my opinion. The next day, bring them to 130-135 just before serving, I guess.

Comment

165 MAX unless you want to make turkey salad or cover it in gravy…which isn’t a bad way to go come to think of it…

Comment

I would not take it above 155 degrees. You will get carryover cooking which will be even more pronounced if you wrap it immediately after taking it off the smoker. I would expect it to go upwards of 160. I might even aim for a few degrees lower to take into account the wrapping/carryover and planned reheating

Meat is pasteurized at 155 in slightly over a minute (at 165 it’s instant) and thickest part will def spend over 1 min at 155 degrees due to cooking/carryover, so it will be safe to eat and that is a high enough temp to give you a normal texture while maximizing the moisture.

Comment

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          Agreed if I was cooking a whole turkey I'd go up to 165 but for breasts alone 155 and the carry over should be fine

Originally posted by DogFaced PonySoldier View Post
        I did like 8 turkeys on Thanksgiving this year, I aimed for 155 on all of them for internal breast temp. They came out fully cooked, moist, juicy and flavorful. A couple ended up at 157-158 by the time I got them pulled, as I had several going at once. But I heard no complaints, everyone said they were wonderful.

Just my experience.

<edit> What method and temp are you heating to the second day? I might pull them at 150 in your case, honestly. Even a little lower might be fine. If these are boneless breasts only, I'd go a little lower if you're reheating the next day. I wouldn't go past 150. Long rest, then cool and reheat? Yeah, if you're not careful, that's a recipe for dry turkey. No way I'd take those to 160 for the initial smoke, even 155 might be pushing it in my opinion. The next day, bring them to 130-135 just before serving, I guess.
        Thanks Dog,

I appreciate your advice on reheating.

Yes a dry turkey breast is the last thing I want. I think I'm protecting them from drying out a bit by brining and injecting.
        I was thinking resting in butter, cooling, refrigerate, keep double wrapped in foil w/ the butter. Re-heat in oven next day.

What oven temp do you recommend reheating breasts the next day?

Thanks again!
        JD

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
          DogFaced PonySoldier commented
          Editing a comment
          That depends a lot on the thickness and size of the piece of protein. I had a large brisket we reheated the next day after wrapping and chilling. We did 250ºF for 2 hours - I think it could have been hotter. It was fairly warm, but I would have liked more. For a large brisket, I might go 300ºF next time for 2h instead of 250ºF. I would rather go hotter for shorter time than same temp for longer time. With the turkey breast, I think 250ºF would be good - but for how long? Keep it wrapped, though!

Originally posted by jjdbike View Post

Thanks Dog,

I appreciate your advice on reheating.

Yes a dry turkey breast is the last thing I want. I think I'm protecting them from drying out a bit by brining and injecting.
        I was thinking resting in butter, cooling, refrigerate, keep double wrapped in foil w/ the butter. Re-heat in oven next day.

What oven temp do you recommend reheating breasts the next day?

Thanks again!
        JD
        Thanks again Dog!
        JD

Comment

jjdbike everyone already gave you great advice on cooking, and I am in the 155 camp for pulling it off the smoker. I would not pull earlier than that. You STILL need to kill the salmonella...

They will be best and juiciest served the day you cook them, but I understand we can't always do that. So if you are reheating these the next day in an oven, I would use a leave-in probe in at least one and try to get them up to 140F IT on the reheat. Since it sounds like you are doing more than one, I would use a leave in probe the smallest one, then use an instant read to check the others once the smallest hits 140F.

I've reheated a lot of presmoked turkeys for my mother in law - ones she bought pre-smoked - and they always have you heat to 145 IT. I would just do it in an oven at something like 325F. No point in prolonging the reheat at a lower temp.

Comment

Originally posted by jfmorris View Post
            jjdbike everyone already gave you great advice on cooking, and I am in the 155 camp for pulling it off the smoker. I would not pull earlier than that. You STILL need to kill the salmonella...

They will be best and juiciest served the day you cook them, but I understand we can't always do that. So if you are reheating these the next day in an oven, I would use a leave-in probe in at least one and try to get them up to 140F IT on the reheat. Since it sounds like you are doing more than one, I would use a leave in probe the smallest one, then use an instant read to check the others once the smallest hits 140F.

I've reheated a lot of presmoked turkeys for my mother in law - ones she bought pre-smoked - and they always have you heat to 145 IT. I would just do it in an oven at something like 325F. No point in prolonging the reheat at a lower temp.
            Thanks much brother! I'll make note of that.
            JD

Comment

Here's what HouseHomey , a chef and fellow Pit member here recommended for reheating smoked turkey breasts:

For 2 to 3 lb smoked turkey breast halves:

Preheat oven to 375 deg

Place a rack in a heavy rectangular food service foil pan

Pour a quart of homemade chicken or turkey broth into the pan.

Cover the pan tightly with aluminum foil​

Place in oven and heat until the breast reaches 160 degrees. Takes about an hour. Only slice what is to be served immediately. Pour some of the pan broth over the sliced turkey in the platter.​

FWIW, this is the method I've used for the past few years, with perhaps a dozen or more smoked turkey breasts. It works like a charm.

Kathryn

Comment

Originally posted by fzxdoc View Post
                Here's what HouseHomey , a chef and fellow Pit member here recommended for reheating smoked turkey breasts:

For 2 to 3 lb smoked turkey breast halves:

Preheat oven to 375 deg

Place a rack in a heavy rectangular food service foil pan

Pour a quart of homemade chicken or turkey broth into the pan.

Cover the pan tightly with aluminum foil​

Place in oven and heat until the breast reaches 160 degrees. Takes about an hour. Only slice what is to be served immediately. Pour some of the pan broth over the sliced turkey in the platter.​

FWIW, this is the method I've used for the past few years, with perhaps a dozen or more smoked turkey breasts. It works like a charm.

Kathryn
                Thanks Kathryn!
                From the hip, a quart of liquid sound like a lot, but I assume it depends on the size of the pan. I wouldn't want to wash off the seasoning or any bark / color that was achieved during original cook.
                Do you think brining it all the way up to 160 is necessary, or do you think 145 - 150 would be sufficient?
                I appreciate your input.
                JD

Comment

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I kinda worry taking it up to 160 (again) risks overcooking and drying things out...

• Steve R.
                  Steve R. commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It's really easy to overthink this. I suggest rereading this part: "FWIW, this is the method I've used for the past few years, with perhaps a dozen or more smoked turkey breasts. It works like a charm." 😉

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  jjdbike , Steve R. and jfmorris , the USDA recommends reheating the turkey to 165°. Cook's Illustrated recommends 130°. You choose.

If you have your turkey breast on a rack, a quart of liquid is not much on the bottom of one of those large food service aluminum pans. The liquid level is well below the rack and the turkey. I get the aluminum pans at Sam's Club--the thicker ones meant to go into sterno heating setups.

HTH,
                  Kathryn

Thank jf,
                I was thinking the same thing. What temp would you feel comfortable taking it to that next day for reheating?
                JD

Comment

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Something less than your done temp the day before? I think even 145 in the breast is gonna be much higher as you get closer to the outside of the turkey.

I just found a picture of a presmoked turkey on the Sams Club website, and it has on the front of the label "heat to 145F". Those are the ones my mother in law buys the years I don't bring the turkeys.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here