Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best wood for chicken smoke?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best wood for chicken smoke?

Greetings all! We survived the blizzard of 2016, and not only that, I made some banging last meal ribs yesterday! 👍👍

As for my main topic, I am looking for opinions on the best wood for smoking chicken. Thanks in advance.

I tend to use fruit woods that are less likely to overwhelm the chicken's mild flavor. The exception is Huli-Huli chicken ... for that I use mesquite because it's most faithful to the wood they use in Hawaii.

Comment

Handful of cherry. I did some breasts the other day for 15 minutes, then sous vide and pan seared with clarified butter. After all that, plentiful smokaroma coming off them dudes.....

Comment

Cherry on a HOT fire. Nothing better.

Comment

In this word

Cherry
          Mesquite
          Pecan

Comment

I Pecan.

Comment

Maple, apple or cherry.

Comment

Right this second I'm doing cherry.

BUT If I could get pecan I'd use it.
                Last edited by Jon Solberg; January 25, 2016, 05:33 PM.

Comment

• Thunder77
                  Thunder77 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  John, I could send you a bag of pecan.

Ok I will be the odd one here, I like Hickory but I do have Cherry and Pecan chunks that I'm going to try.

Comment

• Thunder77
                  Thunder77 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  DWCowles, I like pecan as well. It gives a subtle flavor and nice golden brown skin color. On this last one, I used the cherry, and it was excellent. Try it, you won't be disappointed.

I second hickory. Pecan is nice too.

Comment

Pecan for me, cherry as second.

Comment

I use a lot of apple, I have some cherry which I think I will try the next time I spatchcock a chicken to smoke on my Lang.

Comment

• DWCowles
                      DWCowles commented
                      Editing a comment
                      vandy is your Lang a 36" or 48"? How do you like it?

• vandy
                      vandy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      It is a 36 Hybrid Deluxe and yes I love it!

Wow, thanks for the quick feedback! I have used pecan and hickory before, but wanted to try something else. I used two chunks of cherry at the start of cook. Awesome flavor!

Comment

I mix cherry and pecan for all competition cooking -- that's chicken, pork and beef. Good on all.

Comment

• Thunder77
                        Thunder77 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        CandySueQ, do you do equal proportions of cherry and pecan?

Apple for me.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
                        Danjohnston949 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        gwschenk, You said a Mouthful there! I think Apple Could be the Universal Smoking Wood! IMHOP
                        Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here