Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else think wet brining poultry is a must?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone else think wet brining poultry is a must?

This is by far the most comprehensive website for everything meat. In the many years I have used it I have only one disagreement, brining chicken and turkey. Meathead recommends dry brine. Anyone else wet brine?

Many wet brine. Chicken breasts and pork chops benefit slightly due to their rather quick cook time. I prefer the simplicity of dry brining.

Comment

The problem with dry brining is that the salt doesn't effectively penetrate skin. Obviously, you can dry brine the other side, but...

Comment

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        I was dry brining chicken, something came up, so I decided to let them dry brine over knight. The meat was tasty, but the skin was leather.

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        But? All ya have ta do is flip it.

I wet brine chicken and lean pork cuts.

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
        DogFaced PonySoldier commented
        Editing a comment
        But do they have crispy skin??? To me, that has been the hardest thing about poultry.

• Allon
        Allon commented
        Editing a comment
        DogFaced PonySoldier, they do get crispy skin.

• Rob whatever
        Rob whatever commented
        Editing a comment
        I let the chicken rest for in the fridge for a few hours after I take them out of the brine. The drier skin helps get crispy skin.

I dry brine smaller birds, mostly because I want crispy skin AND smoke and dry brining helps me dry the skin out pre smoke. I do put as much salt and seasoning under the skin as I can though. Now turkey I prefer wet brining, the cook is much longer so I have more time to get the skin crispy... that and I don't have enough room or a large enough roasting pan to let a turkey sit in my fridge with a dry brine.

Comment

If I wet brine chicken it’s only breast and that’s when I have the time to do. Same with pork chops. Otherwise I dry brine or use a marinade.

Comment

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          Isn't using a marinade the same as wet brining? Or do your marinades not have any salt in them?

• radiodome21
          radiodome21 commented
          Editing a comment
          Funny…..I always wondered that because when I would search wet brine recipe all that really pops up is basically salt water. My marinades are usually whatever bottled salad dressing is on sale at grocery store.

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          radiodome21 that’s the best secret recipe, isn’t it! Bottled salad dressing on grilled chicken. Try mixing it 50/50 with bottled bbq sauce.

I like to wet brine chicken, but don't always do it.

Comment

I dry brine only. Wet brining was just too much of a mess (a potentially unsanitary mess) and, if you give the dry brining process plenty of time (at least 24 hours), your end result (including "salt penetrating the skin") is every bit as good ... if not better ... because there is no danger of over-salting (unless you get totally carried away when applying).

Comment

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            There ya go, no flippin necessary. 🕶

I never wet brine and second what MBMorgan said. If you brine 24 hours in advance there will be no problem with salt penetration. It will go all the way to the bones. The skin will also lose moisture, making it easier to crisp.

Comment

Never wet brine anything.

Comment

Originally posted by hoovarmin View Post
              I never wet brine and second what MBMorgan said. If you brine 24 hours in advance there will be no problem with salt penetration. It will go all the way to the bones. The skin will also lose moisture, making it easier to crisp.
              This is a good point. Oddly, I have no issue dry brining steaks that far ahead, but rarely do with chicken etc. Not sure why.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                Jerod Broussard commented
                Editing a comment
                What's the matter Colonel Sanders, CHICKEN!!??

• rickgregory
                rickgregory commented
                Editing a comment
                Lol no. I think it's that I don't plan chicken ahead - it's more of a "hey, I'll have chicken tonight" decision for me.

• bbqLuv
                bbqLuv commented
                Editing a comment
                Jerod Broussard commented
                "What's the matter Colonel Sanders, CHICKEN!!??"
                The answer is they have gone to "Hell in a Hand Basket", back in the 60's they were very good.

I wet brine my turkeys but no more than overnight.
              But I do agree about the over salting the boid, mainly because I did over salt one time....have mucho wine on hand....
              Very rarely smoke chicken so cannot comment on that aspect.

Comment

I wet brine turkeys (24 hrs) and whole chickens (6 - 8 hrs.), even the ones that will be spatchcocked . Chicken parts nearly always recieve a dry brine. Pork gets a dry brine, some of the time. I belive beef steaks benefit from a brief (hour or two) dry brine as well.

Comment

I've done side by sides and I insist, for me, wet brined chicken pieces and pork loin chops are better. It's not a wide margin but to me it is detectable. Zero problem with the skin not crisping.

Comment

I don’t, gave it up years ago.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here