Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

22LB Turkey Spatchcock on a 22" WSM - how to arrange the grates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

22LB Turkey Spatchcock on a 22" WSM - how to arrange the grates?

I know this is taking a huge risk but I got volunteered to make the Turkey-day dinner this year on my fairly new 22WSM. I successfully seasoned the WSM as suggested here, and have cooked pork shoulder twice (40lbs total) on it that have been the best I have ever done. I'm feeling confident but just a little confused.

I'm planning to leave out the water bowl, so the confusion lies in where to put the gravy/dripping dish? Do I put that on the lower grill and the turkey on the upper grill? I read on the Turkey smoking page that i want to have the bird pretty close above the dripping/gravy dish... so...

Latest idea now is to remove the upper grill, place gravy dish on lower grill, set another spare grill directly on top of gravy dish and have bird on this spare grate? Maybe support with bricks as MH suggests? If I do this will it be too much direct heat since there is no water bowl and bird is down close to the lower grate?

Since this is a pretty big bird I may end up without enough room... I just read a few threads that have me worried. I planned on using my largest corningware casserole dish but now it seems that wont be large enough :/

I'm going to be experimenting with this tomorrow, so maybe I will take a few pics of what I am envisioning and see what the consensus is

Thanks!!

I'm going to be smoking my first turkey on my 18.5" WSM today. My plan is to remove the water bowl & place my gravy pan on the lower rack directly under my 16 pound turkey that will be on the top rack. I'm not feeling confident enough to spatchcock it so I'm going to smoke it whole, breast side up.

Comment

kenrobin, just thinking on my key bored here. There are stands for chickens. Would one work for a turkey, or is there a bigger stand available for turkeys?

What is it about spatchcocking that makes you uneasy? I'd never done it until recently and find it really easy to do. We'd all be happy to help.

Comment

richinlbrg Spanek makes great vertical roasting stands for turkeys, chickens, and game hens. I haven't used the turkey one yet, but the chicken one works great.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here