Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Advice

I am going to smoke turkey breasts for Thanksgiving. Due to weather conditions I may have to smoke them tonight. Should I partially cook them and then finish them in an oven Thanksgiving Day?

What kind of rig are you planning to use to cook the turkey breasts? How many breasts? Are you wanting a smoke flavor or do you just want to cook the breasts on your grill? What kind of weather would prevent you from doing the breasts on the grill the day of?

Comment

Excellent question, but one I do not have a real good answer for. I have unintentionally undercooked a turkey and not discovered it until it had rested for 45 minutes or so. I put it back on the cooker (PBC) unwrapped and cooked it until done. I feared the white meat would be completely dry, but surprisingly it was edible.

Hopefully restaurant pros like Strat50, John, Ernest, fracmeister, or others here on AR can field that question - especially since there is some degree of food safety required with your situation.

Comment

For food safety issues do not partially cook poultry.
        You're cooking just the breast I'm assuming that crispy skin is not a priority. Smoke it and wrap tightly in plastic.
        I would go as far as vacuum sealing it then gently warm it before serving.

Or warm it in gravy, if making any.

Comment

I am cooking two breasts on a Saffiere Ceramic grill. It is supposed to rain all day Thursday which will prevent me from starting my fire. I have no way to cover the grill. Thank you for your input.

Comment

I am cooking two breasts on a Saffiere Ceramic grill. It is supposed to rain all day Thursday which will prevent me from starting my fire. I have no way to cover the grill. Thank you for your input.

Comment

DRMeyer - I would thoroughly cook your breasts on Wednesday. No big deal. Turkey breasts are fully cooked at an internal temp of about 165°. I'd pull the breasts at 160° and let them coast up to 165°. I'd then wrap and refrigerate until a couple of hours before time to serve at which point I'd add a little apple juice to the foil packets and put them in a 200° oven to reheat. I would check the internal temps and make certain you don't get the breasts too much hotter than 165° or so. Note that this technique insures that there is no way you're going to get crispy skin.

Here's to a great cook and an even better Thanksgiving feast with family and friends.

Comment

• HC in SC
                HC in SC commented
                Editing a comment
                Nice tip on the apple juice!

also, make certain you open the ribs so that the heat comes at the meat evenly from all sides. when we smoke in the cold, we wrap the barrel smoker in hot water heater insulation. that allows it to hold it's temp without giving so much up to the elements. somehow, in the winter season, it always seems to rain on the weekends.

Comment

It's supposed to rain here as well and I might have to get my turkey done a day in advance.

Comment

• richinlbrg
                  richinlbrg commented
                  Editing a comment
                  NOOOOO, say it ain't so!
                  The terrorists win.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here