Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chicken pot pie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chicken pot pie

Back in the old working my way through school days I could stretch a food dollar a long way. Several of us were fond of a chopped up baked potato with a chicken pot pie turned upside down on it. The juices and chicken going down into the potato and the crunch of the pie crust were good together. I recently decided I wanted to recreate that dish and found the quality of chicken pot pies had gone way down hill. I’m going to have to try to make my own, but need a good recipe. I’ve seen a few recipes on the internet, but would like one that someone used for a while.

That sounds really good. Fortunately we have a shop just down the road that makes them from scratch in house. Beef or chicken available. I will try this next time we get a couple.

Comment

Well, the link I had saved doesn't work anymore, but I think this is the same one I've been making for a few years now.

This is the best chicken potpie recipe! Chock-full of chicken, potatoes, peas and corn, this recipe makes two golden pies, so you can serve one at supper and save the other for a busy night. —Karen Johnson, Bakersfield, California

Instead of 2 9" pie plates I generally use a single large oval casserole and adjust the baking time (and need to cover the edges of the pastry for part of it to keep it from burning). Would be pretty easy to do in multiple smaller ramekins or something similar. I generally use left over rotisserie chicken that I made, although any cooked chicken will work.

Comment

• Oak Smoke
        Oak Smoke commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you.

Here you go:

Chicken Pot Pie, Double-Crust

Click image for larger version  Name:	375FFFB7-D2DC-4533-A914-DC79D80A7E00.jpg Views:	21 Size:	2.60 MB ID:	1229516
      Click image for larger version  Name:	image_176929.jpg Views:	3 Size:	2.64 MB ID:	1229513

★★★★★

Casseroles and Hot Dishes, Poultry

Prep Time: 2 1/2 hours Cook Time: 2 1/2 hours Total Time: 5 hours Difficulty: Medium Servings: 4-6 Source: MBM - Loosely based on a Cook’s Country recipe

INGREDIENTS

For the Crust:

1/2 cup sour cream, chilled

1 large egg, lightly beaten (for the dough)

2 1/2 cups (12 ounces) all-purpose flour

1 tsp fine (table or pickling) salt (Kosher salt is generally too coarse for dough)

12 TBSP (1 1/2 sticks) salted butter (Land O’Lakes preferred), cut into 1/2-inch pieces and chilled

For the Filling:

4 TBSP salted butter (Land O’Lakes preferred)

1 med-large sweet onion, chopped fine into 1/4 inch pieces (approx. 1 cup)

2 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch pieces (or Japanese Rangiri-style) (2/3 cup min.)

2 celery ribs, cut into 1/4 inch pieces (1/2 cup min.)

1/2 tsp Morton’s Kosher salt (or 3/8 tsp fine table or pickling salt) NOTE: Avoid iodized salt.

1 tsp white sugar (use twice as much sugar by volume as salt)

1/2 tsp fresh-ground black pepper

6 TBSP all-purpose flour (for roux … no need to sift)

1-2 cups thawed frozen green peas (original recipe called for only 3/4 cup) NOTE: Adjust salt, sugar, and pepper to taste if using more than 1 cup of peas.

0-1 cup thawed frozen corn (OPTIONAL): Substitute up to 1/2 of the peas with corn.

2 1/4 cups chicken broth (normal, salted) NOTE: Keep any extra broth in case you need to thin out the filling, especially if made a day or so before baking.

1/2 cup half-and-half

1 small russet potato (approx. 6 ounces), peeled and cut into 1/4 inch pieces (1 cup min.)

1-3 tsp minced fresh thyme, to taste. Substitute half as much dried thyme if fresh not available.

3 cups cooked chicken, trimmed, skin and bones discarded, meat shredded and cut into bite-size pieces (rotisserie (easiest and best), or roasted, smoked, poached, etc., (approx. 2 1/2 lb. before prep)). NOTE: Remember that the pie will take on smoke and other strong chicken-cooking flavors.

For Baking:

1 large egg, lightly beaten (this second egg is for egg wash)

DESCRIPTION

Incorporating sour cream and egg into the dough gives it more flavor and makes it very easy to handle. Using rotisserie or other pre-cooked chicken meat streamlines the process of making the filling because it is already cooked, full of flavor, and needs only to be shredded and sliced into the filling. Cutting the vegetables small allows for the filling to be made in one pot in less than about 30 minutes. Letting the finished pie sit for 45 minutes before serving gives the filling time to set properly.

Serves: 4-6
      Time: 2+ hours, plus approximately 2¼ hours chilling and cooling (plan 5 hours total)
      Equipment needed: 9-inch or larger pie plate (Pyrex, metal, or disposable foil); Rimmed baking sheet

(NOTE: If using a larger pie plate, go a bit heavy on the veggies in order to fill it properly):

BEFORE YOU BEGIN:
      The pie may seem loose when it comes out of the oven but it will set as it cools. You can substitute 3 cups of turkey meat for the chicken, if desired.

DIRECTIONS

CRUST:
      Combine sour cream and egg in bowl. Process flour and salt in food processor until combined, about 3 seconds. Add butter and pulse until only pea-size pieces remain, about 10 pulses. Add half of sour cream mixture and pulse until combined, 5 pulses. Add remaining sour cream mixture and pulse until dough begins to form, about 10 pulses.

Transfer loose mixture to lightly floured counter and knead briefly until dough comes together. Divide dough in half and form into two 4-inch disks. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour. (Wrapped dough can be refrigerated for up to 2 days or frozen for up to 2 months. If frozen, first thaw completely on counter then chill 30 min. before rolling.)

Let chilled dough sit on counter to soften slightly (about 10 min.) before rolling. Roll 1 disk of dough into a 12-inch circle on lightly floured counter. Loosely roll dough around rolling pin and gently unroll it onto the pie plate, letting excess hang over edge. Ease dough into plate by gently lifting edge of dough with one hand while pressing into plate bottom with the other.

Roll the other disk of dough into a 12-inch circle on lightly floured counter, then transfer to parchment paper–lined baking sheet; cover with plastic. It may be necessary to refrigerate both dough circles for 30 minutes before assembling the pie if they get too warm.

FILLING:
      Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, carrots, celery, salt, sugar, and pepper and cook until vegetables begin to soften but not brown, about 6 to 8 minutes. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, until golden, 1 to 2 minutes. It may be necessary to deglaze the pan with a small amount of broth, white wine, vermouth, or even sherry. Add the peas (and corn (optional)), then slowly stir in broth and half-and-half and bring to boil over medium-high heat.

Stir in potato and thyme. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until sauce is thickened and potato is tender, about 10 to 12 minutes. Off heat, stir in the already-cooked chicken. Taste and adjust as needed for salt, sugar, and pepper. NOTE: Let the filling cool a bit before assembling the pie so that it won’t melt the crust dough.

Note: If made and refrigerated in advance, reheat the filling to 160 degrees F., then allow to cool slightly before assembling the pie.

Transfer (slightly mounded) to the dough-lined pie plate. Loosely roll the remaining dough round onto the rolling pin, then gently unroll it onto filling. Trim overhang to 1/2 inch beyond lip of plate. Pinch edges of top and bottom crusts firmly together. Tuck overhang under itself; folded edge should be flush with edge of plate. Crimp dough evenly around edge of plate using your fingers. Cut four 2-inch slits in top of dough.

BAKE:
      Adjust oven rack to lowest position; pre-heat oven to 450F about 30 minutes prior to baking.

Brush top of pie with egg. Place pie on rimmed baking sheet.

Bake until top is light golden brown, 18 to 20 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees, rotate pie, and continue to bake until crust is deep golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes longer. Let pie cool on wire rack for 45 minutes. Serve.

TO MAKE AHEAD FOR FREEZING (in a disposable foil pie plate):
      After making the filling and before assembling the pie, transfer it to a bowl and refrigerate until fully chilled, about 1½ hours. Assemble the pie with the chilled filling, then wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and then aluminum foil. Freeze for a month or more. When ready to bake, unwrap frozen pie, re-cover with foil, and place on rimmed baking sheet (do not thaw before heating). Place sheet on middle rack of cold oven and set oven to 375 degrees. Bake for 1 1/4 hours. Uncover pie and brush with egg. Rotate sheet and continue to bake until crust is golden brown and filling is beginning to bubble up through slits and registers at least 150-160F, 55 minutes to 1 1/4 hours longer. Let cool for 45 minutes before serving.
      Last edited by MBMorgan; May 31, 2022, 10:58 AM.

Comment

• Oak Smoke
        Oak Smoke commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you!

• Donw
        Donw commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you too! I sucked this recipe up into Paprika to try real soon.

• Texas Larry
        Texas Larry commented
        Editing a comment
        This looks amazing! Thank you for sharing.

Man I'd love me a good chikkin pot pie - my wife doesn't care for it, and my son wouldn't eat it either, so I pretty much do the frozen Marie Callendar's version when I am craving it. It's just not worth making a big old pot pie for myself when I'm only gonna eat it once or twice.

Comment

Looks wonderful. I have a recipe, but am going to give this one a try for sure. Thank you!

Comment

The creamy sauce in pot pie takes on a wonderful flavor without much spice. You can overpower it quickly by adding too much. In the winter months, we make it often. Bonus points for me, it's one of the Mrs.'s favorites. I only add a pinch or two of each thyme, paprika, red pepper flakes, and lemon pepper to the sauce. Also, if you are in a hurry, store-bought pie crust works well. Not as good as a scratch, but it speeds the process. For one pie, I use 2 cups of cooked chicken and 2 cups total of the veggies, not including any onion I use. You can use any veggie you like. We have tried broccoli, parsnips, Brussels sprouts, beets, sweet potato, kale, and spinach, at different times. All good.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here